A little frustrated

Options
Hey Everyone,

So I started my journey about 4 months ago and have lost about 30 lbs (50lbs since 2017). In April and May I was really pushing myself through healthy eating and exercise (40 Male and started upwards of 280 lbs, 230 lbs right now). My diet has been incredibly healthy and I don't even crave bad food anymore and even cheat days are usually healthy cheat days. So I am losing weight. My problem is exercise. I started with cardio and LOTS of hiking. I love hiking. As you can imagine, lot's of calories were burned. I started running (jogging) at night. Eventually hit the gym for weight training. Everything seemed to be good and then I started hurting, badly. My hips started hurting really badly, I hurt my shoulder through lifting. My body just started falling apart and I felt very low energy. I went to a doctor and he said I strained some muscles around my hip and lower back. Not a big deal. He said I need to build my core first (through pilates and stretching). I am not sure what I should do now. Should I continue working out through lowering my pace and intensity or should I wait until I am fully healed up (if that's even possible)? I am really determined to be in the best shape of my life and NOTHING can stop, but today, for example, I woke up in such pain all over my body that I had to call in sick. It's not unbearable pain, but it's quite annoying. And I haven't even worked out that much in the last week. Just walked a lot yesterday. Is it possible that because I've never exercised this much before in life (not since I was 17) that my body is just not able to adapt fast enough? Will it eventually? Is this just a matter of pushing myself (in a safe manner) and continuing this journey? Any other advise would be appreciated as I am a bit frustrated with lack of progress about how I feel and even how I look. I feel so out of shape that even after all these months of pushing myself, I am still incredibly out of shape. I understand that it took years and years of unhealhty living to gain the weight and be this out of shape, but I am curious if I've just gotten to the point where it's too late to get in shape to the point where I want to be. I've lost all this weight, but before\after pix show a tiny difference =(

Thank you,
FS

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Sounds like too much, too soon. Fitness takes time to build.

At this point you should keep it low key and rest and give your body time to recover.

Were you taking rest days?

It's definitely not too late to get in shape...I'm 43 and I'm pretty in shape...but it takes time to build up your fitness and doing too much too soon and not taking proper rest/recovery days is always going to lead to injury.
  • MDProctor
    MDProctor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. At the very least, you have to feel much better. Wow. Good job.

I have a theory about gyms. When I started my journey, I headed to the gym. Lost a little weight, added plenty of muscle--and plenty of aches and pains just like you.

Now, I quit the gym. Not guilty over it either. I run. I love to run. I'm alone, just me and the addictive resulting hormones. I weigh less, sleep better, and hurt less than I ever did in the gym.

Gyms work for many and for many, they are a great place to gather and socialize. But my personality and my body demand solitude and strength training in a different way. Don't be fooled into thinking you're like everyone else. You can do this. Do it your way.
  • felixsky77
    felixsky77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks cwolfman13... I did weigh training on Tuesday and Thursday and sometimes on the weekend. And run\jog Monday-Wednesday-Friday. Then hike either one or both days over the weekend. Lately, started since beginning of July, I only walk or jog once or twice a week. Also, play a little tennis and some ping pong (weirdly enough get more tired and awesome work out from intense ping pong). Any idea how long the body needs to recover form strained muscles or just overexertion?
  • felixsky77
    Options
    100% with you MDPRoctor. I started lifting because I do need to build muscle, but it's not my thing. I absolutely love running\jogging\walking\hiking or any other type of cardio. I have to do the weight lifting just because I've lost so much muscle over the years (play hockey so I had a lot of muscle in my youth)
  • mariececilia10
    mariececilia10 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Don’t give up! Health is a lifelong project, not something we accomplish and are done with at some point, although we reach different goals we set for ourselves. It sounds like you were pretty gung-ho about getting in shape as quickly as possible. Reading your workout regimen made me exhausted, and I’m 24 and workout every day. It could be that your routine is too much. If you have the means to hire a trainer to help you establish a good workout regimen it sounds like that could be very beneficial to you. Or, if that’s not something you’d be into I know I’ve read many posts on here about different programs you can find online and follow. Also, it seems like there are many knowledageble youtubers when it comes to bodybuilding and whatnot. Just be sure to do lots of your own research if you go that route. For some reason I always want to believe those shiny happy YouTube folks, but they’re not infallible. Best of luck to you, you can do this!
  • felixsky77
    Options
    Thank you !
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    felixsky77 wrote: »
    Thanks cwolfman13... I did weigh training on Tuesday and Thursday and sometimes on the weekend. And run\jog Monday-Wednesday-Friday. Then hike either one or both days over the weekend. Lately, started since beginning of July, I only walk or jog once or twice a week. Also, play a little tennis and some ping pong (weirdly enough get more tired and awesome work out from intense ping pong). Any idea how long the body needs to recover form strained muscles or just overexertion?

Hard to say. I've been at this for over 5 years and I've had injuries that have gone anywhere from a week to 3-4 months to heal.

To some extent they come with the territory...but if you're doing a lot, you have to make sure you're being smart about rest and recovery days and timing those days.

I've learned along the way that you can't do all of the things all of the time. If I'm hitting it hard in the gym (currently on a pretty rigorous program) I have to back off elsewhere, so at the moment I'm still riding, but I'm riding fewer days and less mileage.

When I train for a cycling event I have to back off the weight room to get my recovery, etc, etc, etc

Like I said, it's very possible to get in shape at 40...but I will say that I do not recover as well or as fast as I did when I was younger so I have to be more careful with rest days and whatnot.
  • felixsky77
    Options
    = ) Thanks. I find it hilarious that I am 40 and falling apart. I feel so young in my head, but my body does not agree !
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    I started being active at around age 46, and phased in more activity gradually. I did have some physical issues at first (back problems, tendinitis, etc.). A couple of things that helped me - though some may "woo" this - were regular professional massage and osteopathic manipulation, plus doing the stretches those folks recommended to me. I also ask for physical therapy referrals anytime my doctor is willing, and exploit the PTs knowledge and expertise shamelessly (even about things I wasn't referred for). I did and do use all the recovery tricks, too: Ice, heat, jacuzzi or steam room if you have access, foam roller or other self massage, etc. Some may help, others won't, but it can't hurt to try (carefully ;) ).

One thing I wasn't doing as I became active, that probably helped me (even though I'm not recommending the strategy to you) was that I started being active when not in a calorie deficit. (My motivations were recovering physical vitality and strength post-chemotherapy, primarily, not weight loss at the time.) Excellent nutrition is the next best thing. Oh, and sleep.

You seem to be doing something fairly intense every day. Maybe back off alternate days to something milder, like walking or yoga, for a while?

If you can find a good ramp-up plan/approach, I think it can get better. I'm 62 now, have been moderately active for 15+ years now, and many/most of the physical problems I used to have are much reduced, or completely in the past. The stronger and fitter I got, the fewer problems, or at least the severity moderated.

Best wishes!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    felixsky77 wrote: »
    = ) Thanks. I find it hilarious that I am 40 and falling apart. I feel so young in my head, but my body does not agree !

Can I just say you make me feel sooooooo much better? :p

Here I was just today complaining about another new ache/pain and how my body didn't get the "stay active and live a healthy lifestyle memo".

I think it may be a combination of things, mostly not giving your body a rest day.

The older we get, the more we need it. :) But then I'm 59 ;)
  • felixsky77
    Options
    We can't help that our bodies get older, but we can do what we can to take care of them. Good food, plenty of rest, exercise, right mindset. I am just a little impatient and a bit worried about my routine. I am thinking I am going to get a few sessions with a personal trainer and do some PT. I was at an orthopedic doc's office and he gave me a referral for PT.
  • ashtree42
    ashtree42 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You mentioned hiking, fatigue, and lots of aches and pains all over. Have you been tested for Lyme disease? It's not likely, but it's more common in more regions then before. More likely some rest, recovery, and slowly building up the exercise is the answer. But it's definitely worth getting checked if you've hike in an area where ticks carry Lyme. Those buggers are tiny, get in places you never see in a tick check, and lots of people don't get the classic bullseye reaction to a bite.