Dorm Room Smart Snacks!

Hi Everyone!

I'm making a list right now of food that I need to get when I go back to college. So far I have:

Chobani, whole wheat bread, reduced fat peanut butter, granola bars/bites, kashi go lean protein bars, hummus, and chocolate milk!

What food would you add to that list? I'm using a mini-fridge so it can't be too much of anything/too big!! There's limited space. Thanks for the help :)

Replies

• k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Light String Cheese.
  • armacd
    armacd Posts: 95
    Laughing cow cheese and almond milk
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Careful with reduced fat peanut butter, some brands add sugar to make up for lack of taste from fat.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    bananas, apples
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Whole wheat crackers, All natural fruit chews/twists (Target has a good variety. I like the small "twists" because it feels like I'm eating more than just say, one strip at a time), almonds or pistachios, 100 calorie popcorn <-- kettle corn is always a good choice if you have a sweet tooth. It's just sweet enough to fulfill your craving but not bad caloriewise since it's barely sweetened.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    If you buy bulk unpopped popcorn you can easily pop it yourself in a brown paper lunch bag in the microwave! You can add your own salt, butter, or something healthier!

I'm also going to live off almonds and yogurt when I'm not in the cafeteria.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    frozen fruit to mix with the yogurt, the kashi go lean crunch cereal is good with almond milk, almonds, baby carrots
  • rice snacks are good and not alot of calories much better for you than chips.....wheat thins.....
  • Gayly
    Gayly Posts: 6
    Special K fruit and yogurt cereal~ Yum!
    Archer Farms fruit leather (pomagranite is my favorite)
    baby carrots
    hummus
    dried fruit (just watch for added sugar)
    granola
  • 100 calorie popcorn bags
    whole wheat crackers
    apples
    fiber one bars (they do taste good and keep you full)
    if you love chips like i do get baked chips! (watch portions!)
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    when i was in college i had light popcorn (you can eat the whole bag for around 100 calories), yogurt, veggies, pb, fruits (that i got at the dining commons), light string cheese, sugar free jello, crystal light packets,
  • tlcurr7u
    tlcurr7u Posts: 19
    i'd watch it with cheese...cheese is high in calories and fat. Skippy makes an all natural PB that is delicious but also PB is high in fat content.amazing stuff though! Anything can be bad for you if you over do it...

try some Wheat thins, they make some really awesome tomato basil wheat thins, tuna, grapes, fruit in general is good for filling that sweet tooth craving and staying healthy.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    ever heard of "better n peanut butter?" it's 100 calories per 2tbsp and has like... 2g of fat? don't know for sure... haven't had it in a while.

also- vitatop muffins and brownies are soooo good and have a lot of fiber (up to 10g) and low fat. they're made with whole wheat too (except the corn muffins, which are SO good), and they have a lot of vitamins and minerals in them. some are higher in sugar than others, but whatever. the side of the box says they have more nutrients and less sugar than an apple... good enough for me to eat an entire box hahahaha
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Dark chocolate almond milk for chocolate cravings, raw almonds (not salted or roasted), string cheese or laughing cow wedges, and fruit that doesn't take up fridge space.
  • kiltbunny
    kiltbunny Posts: 159 Member
    Fat Free Nilla Wafers
    Bagel thins
    Sugar free fruit preserves
    Rice cakes... I could live off them forever!

and...Mio!! I wish we had Mio when I was in college. It's like having 5 different drinks in the fridge!
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Do you have access to a microwave? You can make No Pudge brownies in the microwave with fat free yogurt and they are pretty tasty (and fast). My roommate and I managed to eat pretty well with just a microwave and a toaster oven.

I also recommend hummus and pre-cut veggie slices - easy and fun to snack on when people inevitably invade your room.
  • lovelyfacex3
    lovelyfacex3 Posts: 68 Member
    Wow, all great suggestions! Thank you!!!!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,035 Member
    Wow this is a great list of snacks in general! love the microwave brownies n Jorra's awesome popcorn idea! Can put that and the other dude's (from another post a few days ago) Parmesan popcorn ideas together.... mmmmmmmmmmmm.............
  • adagolden
    adagolden Posts: 146 Member
    almonds
    wasa crackers
    dry roasted edamame
    fiber one bars
    laughing cow cheese
    guacamole 100 calorie packs from wholly guacamole
    fruit

I wish I had all these great ideas when I was in college, good luck...you'll do great.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Wow this is a great list of snacks in general! love the microwave brownies n Jorra's awesome popcorn idea! Can put that and the other dude's (from another post a few days ago) Parmesan popcorn ideas together.... mmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Thanks for reminding me about that! I am totally doing that during study nights!