Low Carb diet

Options
Must now get serious. Must lose this weight. Going to try a low-carb approach. Any suggestions? Best book of recipes to follow? I know most of the basics. I think my problem is portions and eating out.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If portion sizes are a problem, start weighing your food and logging. At restaurants you can look up the nutritional information on dishes and use that to decide how much to eat.

Don't forget to increase your sodium to at least 3000-5000 mg a day in order to replac ethe electrolytes you'll lose with water weight.

Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group for more support and advice.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you are serious, understand this: You have to eat less to lose weight. You can't try, you have to do. How to do it, however, is up yo you. Eating less usually means you have to eat better, and eating better usually means cutting down on carby foods. But it is eating less that makes you lose weight.

Portions have grown, but we also eat more between meals. Figure out what your problems really are, and fix those.

If your problem is eating out, how are recipes going to fix that? Are you going to cook more at home?
  • Erinloveable
    Erinloveable Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I may be low carb but I have to stay under calories too. It is just like a normal diet except the macros are shifted and I lose 1-2lbs more per week than I would on a traditional calorie restricting diet.
  • angeleyes010974
    angeleyes010974 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I too need to do this. My trainer weighed me and checked my BF % yesterday and I had gained 13 lbs and my BF % was up by 1% since I joined the gym and and signed up for personal training back in march. :'( . So yes I definitely need to eat less but man how do you feel satisfied through eating less? I know I can do it! and I will! Thank you to the OP for this post!
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I too need to do this. My trainer weighed me and checked my BF % yesterday and I had gained 13 lbs and my BF % was up by 1% since I joined the gym and and signed up for personal training back in march. :'( .
    Figure out if it's true, or more importantly, if it's valid - what's your height, weight, sex, and measured body fat%?
    how do you feel satisfied through eating less?
    Through eating enough of all you need, and gratitude for having enough AND the freedom to choose anything you want.
    I know I can do it! and I will!
    Don't sign the contract before you've read it.
  • angeleyes010974
    Options
    I too need to do this. My trainer weighed me and checked my BF % yesterday and I had gained 13 lbs and my BF % was up by 1% since I joined the gym and and signed up for personal training back in march. :'( .
    Figure out if it's true, or more importantly, if it's valid - what's your height, weight, sex, and measured body fat%?
    Through eating enough of all you need, and gratitude for having enough AND the freedom to choose anything you want.

6'1 273 F 36%
  • kommodevaran
    Options

6'1 273 F 36%
    So you could lose some weight. Do you want to lose weight? Do you know what it takes? Are you prepared to do what it takes?
  • btrias24
    btrias24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with some comments that you do have to weigh your food to see exactly where your at. If you are using myfitnesspal im guessing you do weigh your food? Cutting carbs while consuming high fats (good fats) foods, I found it very effective when you want to loose a lot of fat. If your really serious i would recommend doing intermittent fasting.
  • angeleyes010974
    Options
    btrias24 wrote: »
    I agree with some comments that you do have to weigh your food to see exactly where your at. If you are using myfitnesspal im guessing you do weigh your food? Cutting carbs while consuming high fats (good fats) foods, I found it very effective when you want to loose a lot of fat. If your really serious i would recommend doing intermittent fasting.

I actually really buckled down and started doing this and just ina few days I can feel a difference been having some headaches here and there but I know that will pass as I continue to adjust!

• jckgmz
    jckgmz Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I've been doing the keto diet and it's been working for me