Is my scale broken

Options
I’ve been steadily loosing weight, but I have a very fast metabolism so during weight loss I usually loose more weight then one would expect eating a healthy amount. I’ve been eating around 1000-1200 calories (1000 calories is on the low side when I’ve ate everything but wanted to go to sleep so I didn’t have time to get to 1200) and this morning I woke up and weighed myself like usual in the same clothes I always weigh myself in, and the scale says I lost a whole 7 pounds. I have a digital scale. I don’t believe it, but is it possible?

Replies

• riverscloud3407
    riverscloud3407 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also didn’t urinate more than usual, sweat, work out the day before, or anything like that.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    The scale could be on an uneven surface, maybe it didn't calibrate correctly on start up. Did you wait a few minutes and try it again? Make sure the scale is on a level surface. You didn't lean or rest your hand against a wall did you? (I held on to the door frame once, I don't know why.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    yeah, step on it and step off, then stay on for the reading. Sometimes it needs a new battery.

And eat. 1000 calories is going to catch up to you - and not in a good way. Set a reasonable goal and stick to it. How much weight do you need to lose to be at a healthy BMI?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I’ve been steadily loosing weight, but I have a very fast metabolism so during weight loss I usually loose more weight then one would expect eating a healthy amount. I’ve been eating around 1000-1200 calories (1000 calories is on the low side when I’ve ate everything but wanted to go to sleep so I didn’t have time to get to 1200) and this morning I woke up and weighed myself like usual in the same clothes I always weigh myself in, and the scale says I lost a whole 7 pounds. I have a digital scale. I don’t believe it, but is it possible?

you don't have a 'fast metabolism', you're just eating too little.

what are your stats?
  • riverscloud3407
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    The scale could be on an uneven surface, maybe it didn't calibrate correctly on start up. Did you wait a few minutes and try it again? Make sure the scale is on a level surface. You didn't lean or rest your hand against a wall did you? (I held on to the door frame once, I don't know why.

I didn’t think I leaned on the wall but I’ve done that before too. I’ll try again tomorrow because i like to weigh myself at the same time. Ill make sure it’s on an even surface and drag it out to the middle of the floor. Thanks!
  • riverscloud3407
    Options
    yeah, step on it and step off, then stay on for the reading. Sometimes it needs a new battery.

And eat. 1000 calories is going to catch up to you - and not in a good way. Set a reasonable goal and stick to it. How much weight do you need to lose to be at a healthy BMI?

I’m going to try to up that back to 1200 calories or possibly higher. I’m already at a healthy BMI I just want to loose 5 more pounds, still at a healthy BMI.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I’m going to try to up that back to 1200 calories or possibly higher. I’m already at a healthy BMI I just want to loose 5 more pounds, still at a healthy BMI.

Then you should only be aiming to lose half a pound a week, which will most likely have you eating more than 1200 calories
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Well, a 7 pound loss would roughly equal a 24,500 calorie deficit, so unless you didn't eat for a week or two, it may be a funky scale, a whoosh of water weight coming off, combination of both...? Who knows? But generally speaking, that would be very improbable unless you haven't weighed yourself for quite some time...