What to eat when going out

Options
SO and I go out to eat almost every weekend. What are some foods that I eat that won't be alot of calories.. I want to able to enjoy myself at the resturant without going over my calories? Any ideas?

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what you eat at home. Lean protein, veggies, etc....I would preplan a dinner out, and review their menu(if you can get access to the nutritional info).
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    the easiest thing to do is check the nutrition information before you go. that way you already know what you're getting, as well as how many calories it is before you eat it.
  • Erin_26
    Erin_26 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would stick to lean protein and vegetables, prepared with no oil/butter, or as little as possible. No carbs, or maybe one glass of wine.
  • xxshewolfxx
    Options
    If it's a good restaurant you can probably ask if they'll cook some fish or meat or something for you - or one of the dishes without all the added extras.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    be careful. look online. a lot of times salads are over 800 calories! and veggies can be steamed in butter which packs on calories. avoid the bread at the beginning of the meal (if that restaurant offers it like Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Longhorn, etc.) unless you have planned for one piece. Pre planning online is the best way :) and order water!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I eat grilled chicken salad alot when I am out or grilled chicken and vegetables. Stick with a lean protein with vegetables and fruits. I skip the dressing, cheese and bacon in salads.
  • capNramsey
    capNramsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is look up info before you go out if you can or even look up info on your phone while you are at the restaurant. I find most of the time, ordering a salad or fish is my best option. For salads, make sure you have a low-fat or light dressing ordered on the side and omit any fattening toppings like fried onions, tortilla strips, wonton strips and sometimes cheese depending on how many calories you can have that night. And fish options usually come with fresh veggies. Just make sure the fish is not fried and is broiled or grilled. I also enjoy grilled shrimp. Avoid creamy sauces.

Also you can always share a meal or take half home with you, then you can indulge a little without eating all of the calories.
  • mamaredhead
    Options
    You could order a piece of lean meat with a lot of salad and veggies. No fries, no bread, no potatoes in any form. I'd MAYBE have rice (probably not ...), but no noodles either, and I'd actually go without any carbs if possible. Try to avoid pizza if you don't know how they prepare it. It could be (and probably is) very fatty.

Have water with it, a glass of wine or two is very okay.
    Enjoy having GOOD food instead of A LOT OF food!

If you want a dessert, take a fruit salad and an espresso, maybe some icecream, but no cream and no cakes or cookies ...

My two cents -- have fun ;-))))
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Always skip the bread and or basket of chips and salsa...and eat what you would normally eat at home...lean meats, fruits and veggies (steamed) or if you have a Appleby's eat off their 550 calorie menu...you can also google different restaurants menu's and see what they have ahead of time and try to figure out the nutritional content...some have that and others don't...
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Lots of places nowdays also have a healthy options menu. Sticking to that really helps and you don't feel cheated. Applebee's, Logan's Roadhouse... just to name a couple. Grilled meats and lots of veggies... little to no bread unless you've really worked out that day. Never a baked potato (they are huge) and appetizers tend to be very calorie laden, so avoid them if at all possible. Preplanning is what it's all about!
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There are several resturants in my area that have a low calorie line and have nutritional info posted.
    If you have a smart phone, use the app on here to look. Most menu items from most chain resturants can be found here.

Personally, I have been looking at menus online, cross checking the nutritional info and deciding before we get there. You can also pre-order at some, which will give less time to think about those breads and chips and such.
  • Maya_Erin
    Options
    Thanks!
  • joea123
    joea123 Posts: 3
    Options
    You definitely want to check the nutrition information online. My Fitness pal can also help on most restaurant dishes, especially convenient to have as a smart phone app. Another trick is to get a to-go box before you start eating and put half of your portion away before you start eating it.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Look at the menu online and preplan. If you know how many calories you will be eating, you can work it into your meal plan for that day. Call the restaurant, ask to speak to a manager and ask if they will accommodate a special request due to your unique nutritional needs. MOST restaurants will happily oblige.

Drink a full glass of water before you leave your house. Order water when you first sit down. Drink one to two full glasses of water before ordering a drink that has calories in it. Not only will it save you the empty calories in the drinks, but it will help fill you up. When you order, ask the server to box up half your meal before he/she even brings it to your table. This will be really helpful in discouraging you from continuing to eat after you are full, just because food is on your plate. Skip the bread, or only have one piece.

Ask for dressing to be left off of your salad, instead ask for oil and vinegar on the side, or simply ask for lemon wedges and squeeze the lemon juice onto your salad to dress it. You could even pre-mix your own salad dressing of apple cider vinegar and olive oil or coconut oil..so you know EXACTLY how many calories it is.

And of course, be sure to tip your server nicely for accommodating your special requests (unless they act like it's a huge inconvenience). And of course, be sure to tell the manager what a great job your server did in taking extra special care of you and your special requests!

God bless!
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Plan to eat high protien low cal meals for the meals you eat at home and pre plan to spend extra calories at dinner. Order and put half in a to go box or split a meal.