Tilapia--Any Suggestions?

Options
I like cooking fish because it's quick. I just need to expand the variety of ways in which I season and cook it... and what are some healthy sides to add to my plate that are also quick and easy to prepare?

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    steamed veggies, mashed cauliflower, sauteed veggies, salad.
  • cindy0716
    cindy0716 Posts: 135
    Options
    Blackened and Grilled. Some grilled veggies (onions, mushrooms, zucchini) on the side.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    My favorite and most delicious indulgent recipe is this one:

Broiled Tilapia Parmesan

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=75983

Serve with your favorite vegetables and YUM! It's nice over a bit of whole wheat pasta with fresh tomatoes and basil.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I bake tilapia with different seasonings. I usually use a little garlic powder, cracked pepper, sea salt, and Mrs. Dash. Then on the side I like brown rice or quinoa with some steamed veggies. A baked sweet potato is also good on the side.
  • gjrie
    gjrie Posts: 7
    Options
    I like to make a "mango salsa" to top fish. Mango, minced onions, cilantro. Also often I'll make lots of brown rice that can be used for several meals. One quick suggestion is a rice bowl with fish and steamed vegies. I like to spice it with Cajun spices. Yum!
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I use blackened seasoning on mine, and broil it, then make a sauce from fat free greek yogurt, chives, lemon juice, black pepper and sautee onion, mushrooms and green beans over whole grain rice. yummmmmm
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Here is how I usually cook fish - heat a little REAL butter (a teaspoon maybe) in a pan. Sprinkle favorite spices in pan. I like cayenne pepper, paprika, dried basil, garlic powder, onion powder, season salt (don't use all of these at once, but change it up for variety.) Throw in the fish, cook, and you are done! Super easy and very delicious. (This works best with thin, quick cooking fish like tilapia and flounder.)

As far as sides go, I love love love microwave sweet potatoes. Stab a potato with a fork a couple times, wrap in a paper towel, microwave 5 minutes, and check it. It make need more than 5 if it is a bigger potato. I also like broccoli, peas, corn, really any veggies. You could also make a fruit salad. Oven fries with regular potatoes.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I love my fish with 1/2 cup brown rice and steamed veggies. Lemon always gives fish a nice little zest!
  • solflyer81
    solflyer81 Posts: 119
    Options
    fish is my go to meal, I loooooooooove fish. i always do grilled veggies on the side. I have decided I do NOT like quinoa though. So instead of forcing myself to eat something i hate, I make lentils instead and put it on top of 1/2 cup of rice (150 cal per 1/2 cup). I love flavor, so my recipe is Indian inspired and packed full of fiber, protein and other good stuff. I got the recipe from Sparkpeople.com and did variations on my own. Its called lentils and spinach if you re interested.

as far as the fish goes, my favorite is cajun and lemon. or lemon and rosemary. But again I love fish, so it isnt hard to please me. Another helthy route you could try is curried. It all depends on what your willing to eat. I will say that many foreign natiions make it easy to be a vegetarian (not that i am) because they have so much flavor in their food. They could cook boot, and I m sure i would eat it without questioning it. So maybe browse some recipe sites (sparkpeople.com rocks btw) and get your creative juices flowing. If you cant get bored with your food, you cant get bored with your lifestyle.

GL to you

ps, you can change your fish too-for a more omega 3's packed fish and a fluffier texture try orange roughy or striped pangasius- my two go tos and absolute favorites
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This is the best way:

get some mustard (I use spicy brown mustard works the best) mix with soy sauce dip the tilapias in it. use little bit of seasoning of your choice.

Wrap em up in a tin foil and bake in oven I think like 15-20 minutes at 350. Yum always make it and taste good. you can try with all kind of mustards (honey, spicy, regular)
  • tlcurr7u
    tlcurr7u Posts: 19
    Options
    I got some amazing suggestions. I definently think I am going to try making a greek yougurt sauce! that might change things up a little!!
  • georgiabulldog
    Options
    With tilapia being a mild, white fish, it takes dill and lemon extremely well. My go-to seasoning on it is salt, fresh cracked pepper, a small sprinkle of garlic power, heavy hand with dill, and a squeeze of lemon. Bake it for 10 minutes and you have a wonderful high-protein meal.
  • sheilamo
    sheilamo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i made a "breading" for the exterior of the cereal fiber one. I pureed until fine. Dip the fish in egg and then roll in the fiber one. Cook until done......delish and crunchy exterior.