Chronic Fatigue Syndrome makes usual exercise impossible - feeling hopeless

Options
nevermind18
nevermind18 Posts: 16 Member
Hello
I have several health conditions including Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and every day life is exhausting, especially in this heat. I’ve read that everyone’s assumed to take 2000 steps a day, but I don’t do this every day, let alone more on top. My weight gain is from a combination of medication and lack of movement. I try to move and have started to do Qui gong by watching YouTube, but I know that exercise is key to losing weight. Ultimately my weight loss will only happen with reduced calories, which is pretty miserable. Sorry to sound so negative, but I’ve lost weight before, only to put it back on again. I want ideally to lose a stone, but half a stone would be a great start. Does anyone else have the same problem or just some encouragement? Thank you.

Replies

• nevermind18
    nevermind18 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I really appreciate your encouragement. x
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    don't diet. make sustainable changes in your eating habit. stay in your calorie allotment. weigh your food on a food scale. if you don't eat sugar, then when you eat sugar again, you'll gain it back. if you don't eat carbs, same thing. I like to squeeze as much nutrition out of my calories as i can
    exercise is not the key, a calorie deficit is. weight loss can happen with no exercise.
    exercise is for fitness.
    you can also look into leslie sansone who does walking videos (to be done inside). some are on youtube. qui gong is nice too and might help physically and mentally

good luck-ideopathic hypersomnia here
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You can start with logging what you eat--then setting calorie goals. As a long time tai chi and qigong student I would encourage you to keep on with the qigong. It helps to heal your mind and body, if nothing else it feels good to do it.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I've lost 26 kg without any exercise.
    Only started to exercise and do weighttraining recently.
    It's the calorie deficiency that's needed for weight loss.
    Good luck!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Calories are the key to weight loss. Eat well, eat within your calorie allotment, move your body when you can for other health reasons. All the best to you and I hope you start to feel better soon!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I am doing water aerobics - excellent for my joints. Because of my weight I do not fit onto many gym machines so water aerobics is the answer for me.
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Nevermind - don't look at this as a diet. Diets never work, only lifestyle changes work in the long run. Take it slow, you didn't gain the weight in a week, you won't lose it in a week, either. I can't add to the advice of the others, I just want to say hang in there, you can do it!
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    SandSeaSkySoul Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Why miserable?

It's reduced calories compared to what your were eating previously, which was too much. So another way to look at is you are training to eat "normal" calories based on your activity level. This process is not about starving yourself and going through endless starvation and overeating cycles, but learning what you should be eating to maintain your weight.

Similar to managing your finances - you first eliminate debt, but you don't make drastic moves and you continue paying for necessities. Apply the same logic to your diet plan - make small changes which have a dramatic impact over time. Take this slowly and deliberately.

As for CFS it is highly likely these symptoms will diminish the closer you get to your goal weight.

I was within my healthy weight range, prior to getting CFS. While CFS obviously didn't directly cause me to gain weight, CFS symptom intensity isn't a causation of weight itself.
  • tlrucon
    tlrucon Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.summertomato.com/ Darya's book "Foodist" changed the way I look at food and helped me create better eating habits!
  • knowleka
    knowleka Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and lost 2 stone without exercise, feel free to friend me if you want some support
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not required for weight loss. I've lost a total of 180lbs, the first 50lbs were purely eating at a deficit - I didn't start to exercise until about 6 months into my weight loss, and all I did was go for a walk every evening.