HELP: Fitness Watch

Options
camorr7
camorr7 Posts: 15 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Suggestions for a fitness watch?! Looking to track my steps, sleep, exercises, and MUST BE WATERPROOF for swimming. I’d also like it to look like a watch.

Price is the biggest thing that matters.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What features are important to you?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I love my FitBit Ionic, but that may be too "fancy" for some. What features are you looking for?

ETA: My ONE complaint about my FitBit is that it is not "fixable". So if something goes wrong outside of the warranty period, you need to buy a whole new watch. I found this out the hard way. I'm not outside of the warranty period, but got a big scratch on my watch face. They don't have the capability to replace it and the only option offered to me was to buy another $300 watch. If I didn't love the FitBit interface so much I'd switch to an apple watch, so at least if it were damaged i could get that fixed. FWP I realize.
  • Nikki_Lee12
    Nikki_Lee12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My fitbit Ionic is literally my favorite watch of all time.
    It looks nice and has a ton of fitness capabilities!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It depends on what you do and how much money you're willing to spend. Ray Maker's in-depth reviews and recommendations are worth checking out:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/winter-technology-recommendations.html

His gadget recommendations are divided into sections; depending on your interests, look at running watches, triathlon watches, and activity trackers.
  • camorr7
    Options
    What features are important to you?

Just updated my post.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Mine is a Letscom activity tracker. I got it on Amazon for about $30. I am pleased with it so far. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a Fit Bit. But this is good for the money I spent. It tracks my steps, my heart rate, and my sleep. It also links to Google Fit (Which links to MFP). Some Cons- The battery only lasts a few days before it needs a charge, and part of the band broke within a week of getting it though. It was just the piece that holds the band down, so I am using a hair band in its place, lol. Replacement bands are cheap though. I think I saw a 5 pack for $20.00. But hey, for 30 bucks instead of 120, I can't complain too much. It does what it's intended to do with minimal bugs so far.

Edit: Saw your update. It is water resistant, meaning you can wash your hands and not ruin it. But it is not submersible. However, you can look up swimming on google fit and account for it that way. This is what I did while on vacation and visiting the pool. I would add my swimming and whatever I was doing (treading water mostly). It would then sync and add the exercise to MFP. Google Fit would add the calories I added for swimming to my daily total burn. Seems like a good work around for the money.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    camorr7 wrote: »
    Suggestions for a fitness watch?! Looking to track my steps, sleep, exercises, and MUST BE WATERPROOF for swimming. I’d also like it to look like a watch.

What's your price point? Are you looking to spend $50? $500? What about other things like apps, music, workouts (not ones you log), etc?

This is my 3rd FitBit and the most expensive. It's also the only one that is waterproof.
  • camorr7
    Options

What's your price point? Are you looking to spend $50? $500? What about other things like apps, music, workouts (not ones you log), etc?

This is my 3rd FitBit and the most expensive. It's also the only one that is waterproof.

I’m between a FitBit and Apple Watch.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

Which Fitbit and which Apple Watch? The features vary depending on which model. Fitbit’s only waterproof models are the Ionic and Versa.

What kind of activities/exercises? Have you considered Garmin (has a number of models that are waterproof and well built)?

And how important is sleep tracking? Apple Watch battery life isn’t fantastic so they usually need to be charged at night (meaning they can track sleep but not in a practical sense because they also need to be charged to last the other 18 hours a day).
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571520

I just bought at Vivoactive 3, I like it so far. Previously I had the forerunner 220 and this was the replacement for that watch. It is water resistant to 5atm and will record steps, sleep patterns, and exercise among other things.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I love my Apple Watch (3). The battery charges fast enough that I almost never struggle to keep it charged and use it to track movement throughout the day as well as sleep at night.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivofit 2 (had it for a while). It's been great and was inexpensive. They are on the 3 now...
  • RockinBaker5210
    RockinBaker5210 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Blaze. I'm not sure about the waterproof part, but it does track sleep on top of steps and a variety of other features. It does everything that I need it to do, and I love it.

There is a newer model (Fitbit Versa) which is water resistant to 50M.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options

Which Fitbit and which Apple Watch? The features vary depending on which model. Fitbit’s only waterproof models are the Ionic and Versa.

What kind of activities/exercises? Have you considered Garmin (has a number of models that are waterproof and well built)?

And how important is sleep tracking? Apple Watch battery life isn’t fantastic so they usually need to be charged at night (meaning they can track sleep but not in a practical sense because they also need to be charged to last the other 18 hours a day).

I charge my Apple Watch 3 for 30 mins in the morning while I get ready for work and sometimes 30 mins at night when having supper. But wear it the other 23 hrs with no battery issues.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I charge my AW while I'm reading before bed and then put it back on to track sleep. It doesn't need an overnight charge. Even fully depleted (I only ever get it about halfway) it would only need an hour or so to get to 100% again.