To swim or not to swim?

Options
2»

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    michael-phelps-200-butterfly-usa-swimming-nationals-2015-1685-720x500.jpg[img]. To swim or not to swim. Low impact does not mean zero impact. https://www.bucknell.edu/athletics/recreation-services/swimming-information http://bmhmag.com/what-swimming-can-do-for-mental-health/ "Swimming is also great for the mental health and wellbeing. It can be a relaxing and meditative exercise, it reduces stress.[/img]Weightlessness of water can have a calming effect on the mind, and it helps provide a distraction from life to improve mindfulness. And, for many people, it can be readily accessible without high gym fees or lots of equipment."

"A close friend of mine likes to swim. She prefers ocean swimming. An hour or so of swimming against waves in the open water is something she finds challenging physically and mentally. She was telling about it and I shook my head and admitted that it wasn’t for me. She laughed and said it didn’t have to be for me. "

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    As for the hunger... I noticed it the first summer I took up lap swimming, but not anymore.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I swim regularly and do not experience any more hunger than after other forms of exercise. Note that it takes some time to work up swimming technique and it really helps to have stroke advice. It's amazing how you think you are doing it exactly as on youtube, then the coach takes a video on their phone and shows it to you...yikes!

Also, the muscles specific to swimming take a while to build up, so at first it's hard to get your HR up.

The best overall approach is to join a master's team. Or, if your pool doesn't have one, start one!
  • Sweetnsimpleblond
    Sweetnsimpleblond Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love swimming and will replace my cardio with swimming 2 times a week. I’m no pro swimmer and do it purely because I love being in the water. I will say after about an hour swimming my hunger is fierce and I’ve learned to have protein shakes and boiled eggs ready.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I'm not especially hungry after I swim but what I do tend to do when I swim is swim in the morning and eat my usual breakfast right after. In reality that's true for when I run as well (though there's a bit more of a break between the two because of logistical issues), but I'm rarely ravenous after I swim.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I swim regularly and do not experience any more hunger than after other forms of exercise. Note that it takes some time to work up swimming technique and it really helps to have stroke advice. It's amazing how you think you are doing it exactly as on youtube, then the coach takes a video on their phone and shows it to you...yikes!

Also, the muscles specific to swimming take a while to build up, so at first it's hard to get your HR up.

The best overall approach is to join a master's team. Or, if your pool doesn't have one, start one!

Yes, if the hunger is too overpowering, must simply stay out of the pool. Remaining on the couch at the speed of zero is preferred. Not. Take a leap and jump on in. The water is fine.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »

Yes, if the hunger is too overpowering, must simply stay out of the pool. Remaining on the couch at the speed of zero is preferred. Not. Take a leap and jump on in. The water is fine.

Who suggested that?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have learnt that I can run and cycle fasted - but swimming that is just a non-starter...it doesn't need to be a lot, but I need food in my belly before I can have a good swim workout
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I took some aqua cycling classes this summer. It was fun. But yes, I was starving afterwards.
  • littlegreenparrot
    littlegreenparrot Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, always.

Come on in, the water's lovely.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    As Mari22na alluded to, swimming is great for my mental health. I took adult lessons and only learned how to swim with my face in the water doing an actual swimming stroke not long ago. As such, I spend so much time concentrating on breathing properly, stroking properly and, most importantly, not drowning that I don't think about anything but those three things while in the pool. It is such a pleasure to empty my mind of work, money, food, family, politics or anything else for the duration of my swim that I think I benefit more from that than I do in any physical terms.