No time, Mommys and Working women

Options
Okay all u ladys out there! How do you find time to workout when you work 8-230 every day and have a three year old? I run alot of stairs at work so I definately count that but I also try to walk every night for 45 minutes. I would like to do some workouts but I have not time. Any suggestions on how I can burn lots of calories without lots of time wasted on it?

Replies

• Beijos
    Beijos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    the 30 day shred or EA active can be great because you can do them at home. The 30 day shred only takes around 25 minutes and is an amazing workout.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how I can burn lots of calories without lots of time wasted on it?

Do running. You can burn up a good amount in a short time.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how I can burn lots of calories without lots of time wasted on it?

Do running. You can burn up a good amount in a short time.

I agree. I just got an awesome jogger (kinda spendy but there are cheaper ones out there) and I love it. My baby girl loves it too (She's only 6 months but she knows what it is once I place her in it. She kicks and laughs)
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Do DVDs or video games (Kinect or Wii) in the morning before the kids get up or in the evening when they're in bed - the beauty of having young kids is how much they sleep!
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    Hi,

I don't go out to work (have moved away from where I use to work as a legal assistant and looking to get back into work anytime soon) but have a 19 month old and 3 year old. I do a lot of walking with my children (I know not really possible for you with your working situation) but also work out in the evenings once the children and hubby are in bed. It is now 23.00 and I am currently in the middle of a work out (just taking a breather!).

Walking is excellent, especially if you can pick up the pace and do a fast walk (which I do try to do). Have you thought about jogging or running when you are out? Or maybe swimming or investing in a piece of gym equipment such as a treadmill (doesn't have to be expensive). We did have a cross trainer which I was on every night, but my hubby then decided to use it and it has now gone to cross trainer heaven.

Good luck with your weight loss venture :)
  • Brandei
    Brandei Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I work full time as well and have a toddler (almost 3). I also have a 10yr old son. Although I hate working out late, I find that I do my best workouts at home with DVD's after my daughter goes to bed. I also try to workout during lunch whenever possible.
    Hope that helps.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    30 DS is a great one.... so is running... I get up at 6 every morning to workout. I get it done while kids are sleeping with enough time to spare for breakfast before work.
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    Do DVDs or video games (Kinect or Wii) in the morning before the kids get up or in the evening when they're in bed - the beauty of having young kids is how much they sleep!

I need to know your secret, my two hardly ever sleep, day or night and they are forever on the go in the daytime :(
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    I workout first thing in the morning before the rest of the house gets up. That way there's no excuse when life gets in the way later in the day. Maybe doing a workout video in the morning and playing with your 3 year old in the evening would be best for you. I also walk at lunch if I didn't get my workout in. The walk de-stresses me for the rest of the day.
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are a great investment.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I do my workout in the evenings after dinner and once my 2,5 year old is asleep. Def recommend the 30 day shred by jillian michaels. Also if you want to run check out the couch to 5k programme which is 30 mins long. Fab as I eases you in gently :-)
  • granolagirl67
    Options
    Hello I'm new to MFP but, not new to journaling & exercising. I have twin 4 yr olds. I find it
    Easiest to exercise after work. I work 3 days a wk so my goal is to wkout after wk and to do
    Fun outdoorsey things on wkend with family. 2 of my favorite high calorie wkouts are spinning
    And running! Go get em mommies!
  • draino80
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I have a six year old and an 19 month old, and working full time. Trying to do simple things like brushing your hair or feeding the dog can sometimes be a challenge, let alone trying to exercise! I have finally dedicated my evenings as "me time", and that is when I either bust out a great 45 min cardio session or yes, I am going to say it, turn to the Wii. Adding ankle weights helps, and the Wii system offers a lot of great cardio exercises, and now I hear they even have a Zumba workout...give it a shot! Hope that helps!
  • MaxandHenrysMom
    MaxandHenrysMom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is!

I couldn't seem to find time either. I have twin 2 1/2 year olds and I work full-time. If I even turn in my bed in the AM by boys wake up and are ready to play, so getting up early wasn't working and by the end of the day, I just ran out of steam and most evenings my husband works. I finally broke down and joined a gym with childcare. I felt guilty at first for spending the money and for bringing them there when they are already at daycare two days a week (gotta love mommy guilt) - but they love it! I only go twice a week for a bootcamp class and this alone has made a big difference. I feel stronger, have dropped my BMI, and have more energy.

Good luck whatever route you take!
  • jalysons
    jalysons Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I also work full time and have 2.5 year old twins. If my husband is not traveling I go to the gym or run around 5:30 am. If he is gone I resort to th videos before te kids wake up. If they get up the drink milk and watch me finish. Stinks but it works.
  • mandiibear
    Options
    Turbo Jam is a great work out I use. Its a tape designed by a mom :)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Personally, getting up at the *kitten* crack of dawn to work out is not an option for me. I need sleep. My son is older, he is almost 7, but I joined a gym a block away from work a couple of years ago. I used to go and work out religiously, then stopped and got fat. Now I am back there and working with a personal trainer 3 days a week.

If you have the chance to work out where you work, I would totally do that. If you do not, I would try to work out while your toddler is eating. Those kids take forever to eat, so I would put on a DVD or find an On Demand workout to do while your child eats dinner. GOOD LUCK!!! Working moms have so many obstacles to a healthy lifestyle. I know from experience.
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I don't have kids, but I work A LOT and it is really hard to find the time to go to workout. I am also not a fan of the gym. I used to go all the time, but it is a serious time and money sink, so I have shied away from it.

Now, this is going to sound silly but: all I do is walk. But when I say walk, I mean at a pretty fast pace and EVERYWHERE. I walk to get my groceries, walk as far as I can to my car in the parking lot, always take the stairs and never the elevator, walk to run errands, walk my dog at lunch and again in evening etc. It has reached a point where I walk just for fun and to get rid of any pent up energy on the weekends!

I am sure it isn't the most efficient way, and if you are looking to really tone up or gain muscle, it probably isn't the best direction to go. BUT, it does help keep me relatively fit, full of energy and gets me out of the office :D.
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm a single, SAHM during the day to a 4 year old girl and then a WAHM at night once she goes to bed. It doesn't leave me much time for exercising!

My two suggestions have already been given:

1) Join a gym with childcare. My daughter loves going there and it guarantees me both a workout and little break from mothering (which we all need sometimes!) a couple nights a week

2) 30 Day Shred. It's an intense 20 minute workout that works just about every muscle in your body. I do mine at 9 p.m., once my daughter is sound asleep. (I work until about 1 a.m every night and she's up no later than 7, so a morning workout isn't a good option for me)