Jump Start Your Weight Loss

Options
bookstitch
bookstitch Posts: 86 Member
I seem to be struggling...what is something you did to help jump start your weight loss?

I already don't drink soda, eat fast food or a lot of candy.

My breakfast is typically coffee and fruit/protein smoothie, lunch varies from salad to dinner left overs and dinner is typically chicken and vegetables.

Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight. Put your stats (weight, height, etc) into MFP, along with the rate at which you want to lose (example: 1 pound per week); and MFP will tell you how many calories to eat every day. Use a food scale to weigh the food you eat. As long as you stay within your calorie limit, will lose weight, no matter if it fast food or not.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely true that a jump start is not necessary, but...

I have to admit to being a jump starter. I was a serial starter when I did it slowly. I had better results when I started with some ridiculous unsustainable crash diet for a couple of weeks to give me a "lead to protect" if that makes sense. I do not recommend this as a best practice; it is purely because I had a mental barrier about getting started and seeing progress. But I have never been able to really commit without a jump start. I did switch to the sustainable mfp way and that is what I am doing to maintain after a loss of ~65 pounds.
  • Joymc41
    Joymc41 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Eating properly and sticking to good portion size. When I plateau I add in more exercise to kick start it again. You do tend to lose the most in the beginning and then as the lbs shed it does slow down, this is normal. Losing 1-2lbs every 1-2 weeks is best, its more likely to stay off if you lose it slow. Exercise really helps and it is better to exercise, as you lose weight the fat is replaced with muscle, if the fat is not replaced with muscle then you end up with a lot of sagging skin, which is not flattering either. You don't necessary need to bulk up, just tone up. And remember don't ever give up, as long as you're not gaining, you're doing something right!! :smile:
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right..... however FOR ME..... I restricted my complex carb intake to nothing after lunch.

In other words, supper for me was meat + veggies.

I did that because complex carbs tend to be my trigger food and I wasn't very active in the beginning.

I stuck to this for the first 3 months then slowly introduced them back into my supper menu. I still watch them closely but no longer restrict myself.

This worked for me - kept me focused and mindful.

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Weigh & measure all food and drink accurately and record everything you eat and drink.
    Amounts really matter!

+1 to this. I fooled around with MFP for several months before I started to lose weight and the difference was a comittment to logging every single thing that went into my mouth. I stopped "forgetting" to log dinners, those little bedtime bites of leftovers I thought I wouldn't matter, the food I ate while I prepped family dinner, a dinner out if I didn't think I could find an entry, etc. That was the real jumpstart for me. When my logging became honest and complete I found that MFP really works.