Can these maintenance calories be correct?

Options
Hi all. I’m female, 25yo, 5ft5, just under 129 pounds. I am currently ‘lightly active.’

I usually eat between 1250-1350 calories a day but today I’ve allowed myself a little more and I’ve eaten 1670 which is no big deal.

I just checked what my maintenance calories are on two different calorie calculators and it comes up as around 1800 calories. Can that be correct? That seems like a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 5" ,130lbs, 32 years old

sedentary maintenance: 1620 calories
    lightly active maintenance: 1820 calories
    active maintenance: 2080 calories
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    That's not a lot OP. I'm 5'4, 125 lbs, 45 yrs old, lightly active and I maintain at @ 1700 cals and my logging isn't totally accurate anymore, so it might be more.

If you aren't using a food scale and choosing entries in the database super-carefully, it's quite possible you are eating a bit more than you think and 1800 isn't really that big a stretch!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,855 Member
    Options
    Totally plausible. I'm an extra good li'l ol' calorie burner for some reason, but I maintain around 2000 + exercise at 5'5", 130-something pounds, age 62.

If you're worried, when it's time for maintenance, add 100 daily, wait until you're sure you're still losing, add another 100, wait, etc. The worst that can happen is a tiny, tiny gain if you overshoot (100 calories over maintenance will net you 1 pound of gain in 35 days, and by that time the gradual add process will have you below goal weight and you can adjust as needed).

Are you losing as expected on your current deficit? If so, the maintenance is certainly right. Even if you're losing a little slower than MFP predicts, your maintenance estimate could be right: Some people's energy level (daily life calorie expenditure) perks up nicely with added calories.

Be brave!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Are you still trying to lose weight? How much more? At 5’5 and 129 you are already at a healthy weight and any further loss should be around 0.5 lb/week or a deficit of 250 cals from your maintenance.

Oh and that maintenance estimate seems on the low side to me - I’m 5’2 and 118, over forty with a desk job but average 12k steps per day, and my maintenance cals are around 2100.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It's totally plausible. I'm an inch shorter, and the same weight, and maintain on 2100-2300 a day, depending on how active I am.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    How are everyones calories so high :(
    I'm 5'7, 139lbs and 38yo and my sedentiary is 1550cal. Currently I maintain at around 1900 but that is with 12000 steps of intentional walking which takes me around 2.5 to 3 hours a day to do and when my vacation is over I won't be able to sustain for lack of time.
    This angers me so much...
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 1 (shrimp) and weigh about 102 pounds - maintenance for me is around 1600 ... I walk a reasonable amount and work out 3 times a week.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Am also a lot older than you, so 1800 sounds very plausible, if not more
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I'm 5'7, 139lbs and 38yo and my sedentiary is 1550cal. Currently I maintain at around 1900 but that is with 12000 steps of intentional walking which takes me around 2.5 to 3 hours a day to do and when my vacation is over I won't be able to sustain for lack of time.

Because I'm active, and decently muscled. I work for it.

How do you know your sedentary is only 1550? Have you tried eating more with *precise* tracking?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i maintain on around 2900cal a day - female, 5'3", 165lbs - my weight have been in the 165/166 range for the last 3 months with limited deviations
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Because I'm active, and decently muscled. I work for it.

How do you know your sedentary is only 1550? Have you tried eating more with *precise* tracking?

I know it is 1550 from 3 years of meticulous tracking (yes, I use a scale) and long spreadsheets of data (I'm a scientist).

How is 2-3 hours every day intentional fast pace walking not "working for it"? I feel kind of offended here with your implication. I put a lot of effort.
    I consider myself active too.

Nevermind though. I don't want to steal the OPs thread.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 130 and MFP gives me 1580 for maintenance at sedentary.
  • merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I’m not on maintenance but lose consistently at 2000 right now lol! I’m a lot taller than girls at 5’10”, lightly active (sedentary job plus 10 hours training per week) and also pretty muscular. I’m also 182 lbs, goal is 165! 🙌