What do you use to track your day and cal. burn?

Options
Hii,

I want to buy a tracker that tracks what I do.
I would like to get a watch that is able to track what route I did and where I can choose between walking/hiking/running/etc.
I really like the Garmin forerunner but if read that this one is only for running.

So for inspiration, what do you use? Why? What was the price? Do you recommend it?

Hope you all understand what I want and can help me a little bit ^_^

Thanks!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The higher end Forerunner models are multisport. They can talk to power meters, use GPS to track open water swims, etc. I used a Fenix 5X.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Garmin's Forerunner 35 has various options including walking and running indoors or outdoors. I don't use it for tracking overall calorie burn; I just use it to record my runs. The numbers at mfp work fine for me regarding calories burnt. I only log my intentional exercise, not incidental steps though the Garmin does record those. I had the F15 and F25 and upgraded each because I needed longer battery life for marathons. I think the watch if fine for someone who doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles, like preprogramming complicated workouts. I can program basic intervals and tempo runs with it, which I couldn't do easily with the simpler watches.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    most of the forerunners are activity trackers as well.
  • BingeNinjaNate
    BingeNinjaNate Posts: 88 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I use a fitbit Ionic and Versa. They both do what you listed, although there are cheaper options available with less features.

The Ionic has built in GPS, so you don't need to bring your phone with you on workouts. The Versa has connected GPS, so you would have to bring your phone to use GPS. Both are able to store and play music via Bluetooth headphones and both are water resistant so you can track swims.

One big selling point for Fitbit is the community, steps challenges with your friends etc. I can't really comment on the Garmin platform as I haven't used it, but do believe there might also be a similar community there.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    There are Garmin devices that will track just about anything you wish to measure. I don't know about the features of the lower end Garmin devices, but if you spend a few hundred dollars, you'll be able to get a very functional device that tracks your activity level, all types of workouts(bike, run, swim, others), HR, sleep, etcetera. This information can be viewed in Garmin's Connect platform, as well as on the device itself.

I've used my Garmin 920xt for a number of years and it has been great. So yes, I would recommend Garmin devices.
  • Nama_Slay38
    Nama_Slay38 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivioactive 3 with heart rate monitor, chest strap. Use the connect app,syncs everything.. easy peasy! Doesn't track strength training, but if you wear chest belt, you'll see where you are at burning calorie wise.