How can I successfully loose weight and keep it off ?

Options
champion818
champion818 Posts: 65 Member
edited July 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hey hope everyone is having a great day ! I want to come on here and just get some honest help and advice hopefully .

To give you a brief summary about me , I do suffer from obesity and have a major weight problem. I can safely say that a majority of my weight gain has been within a period of 2 years. From the age of 18 - 20 years old I have managed to put on a whopping 80 pounds . May of 2018 I weighed in at 305 pounds and since then have lost around 15 pounds which puts me at 288. I have struggled with gaining a mass amount and loosing for a while. This time I feel like it has been a tougher time for me because I actually hit 300 pounds and that was a weight I told myself I would never reach. I do not suffer from binge eating disorder because I never sit and just eat a mass amount of food . I believe I make poor decisions on what I eat overall. Looking back at how I ate food , I could have easily been consuming 4,000 calories a day . Now I consume 1,700 -2,000 calories a day which keeps me satisfied . I do light exercise and occasionally go to the gym during the week. ( no set plan , just come and go when i have time). I have been following this for about 2 months now ( besides last week i went on vacation and ate whatever i wanted.

I feel like I will become 600 pounds by the time i turn 30 because when i look at my weight history it shows i loose 20 pounds , but gain 40 more within the next 6 months . I spoke with my doctor and got blood work done . I am 100% healthy and my thyroid and hormonal levels are amazing , so it must not be anything medically wrong with me . He also brought up the discussion of considering weight loss surgery because I do technically fall under the requirements having a BMI of 44 being only 20 and suffering from asthma , depression and loosing my period completely because of my obesity .

I just want this to be the last time I go on a weight loss journy and fail at it because deep down inside i think i might not bounce back if im so far gone.

I included a photo of my weight gain just in 2 years so u can see how much damage i have done to myself . qasatnyrwnno.jpeg

Replies

• Jedi_Jo
    Jedi_Jo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I too had a BMI of 44, and a health scare gave my the determination and mindset to change. My Doctor did explain about weight loss surgery, I declined as I knew I had to get my head in the right place.

I’ve changed my mindset I’m no longer on a diet, I’ve changed my lifestyle. My lifestyle change includes weighing, logging all my food/drink in MyFitnessPal, I take pictures of my food and upload my food diary on instagram. I don’t have cheat days/cheat meals as I no longer want to associate a certain food/meal with being bad! If I go over my calories, I still log everything. I’ve also completed C25K and I’ve now discovered a love for running/exercise.

It’s hard work at first, then it just becomes second nature logging all your food. Best of luck to you.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Do not view your change in eating habits as temporary (a 'diet'). Maintaining control over how much you eat (and to a lesser degree, what you eat) is lifelong. Yes, at some point you will reach your goal weight and enter the next phase, maintenance. With that will come a modest increase in calories, but not a free license to go back to the habits that got you to 300 pounds. Commit to it for the long term. Don't do anything to lose weight that you aren't willing to do for the rest of your life.

And everything @kommodevaran said :smile:
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Someone on a different thread wrote that they “wanted to eat like normal people do”. To me, that implies that counting calories and limiting portion size isn’t what normal people do. It should be. This weight management process takes practice and is never “over”. The alternative seems far worse, to me. Just do what the app sets for you for your height and weight and weight loss goals. You’ll have slip ups. We all do. The most important thing to me, is what I do after I over eat (like the other day when I was 1300 calories over- but still logged it). There’s power in knowing that this is something you CAN do. It isn’t easy, and it has its hard times, but is something most of us can master.