No Endurance...

Options
I've been eating healthy/dieting since December and have dropped about 55 pounds. The last few months I began exercising and my goal was ultimately to be able to do a 5k, but short-term goal was to run a mile. I started C25k, but found Week 4 was just more than I could handle. I could do the 3 minute run, but not the 5 minute run. So, I took a few weeks off of doing that and instead focused on walking, walking, walking. My endurance for walking is great - I walk about 4 miles most nights every week and I intersperse it with occasional jogging sprints. I can walk much further and sometimes will do 7-8 miles when I have time.

But, I *still* have no endurance for running any distance at all. After all these weeks, tonight I thought I'd try to do C25k Week 4 again and I *still* can't do more than the 3 minute run. After all these weeks, I *still* can't really run for more than 1/4 a mile without having to stop because my legs are too tired.

You'd think by now I could at least run 1/2 mile straight or 1 mile straight, but nope! And it's not that I need to "slow down" - trust me, I'm going SLOW SLO W SLOW. If I went any slower, it'd just be a walk!

Replies

• TishaDawnMc
    Options
    In no way do I mean to discourage you; but I run in events several times a year and I see people interval walk/run for the whole duration of the event. ( 5K's, 10K's 1/2/ marathons) you can interval throughout and still keep a really solid pace. Maybe do some internet searches on interval running and see what you think.
  • 1Kimbeelina
    Options
    get to the gym start by running on the Xtrainer....get motivational help from a trainer and see how you do after that....:)
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I wish I had the magic answer.

Do you drink a lot of water the day before you try to run? They say it is important to hydrate 24 hrs before running. And definitely hydrate before and during.

Other thing is nutrition, you have to have a good balance to have good running performance.

Not sure if this is helpful, but it's all I can think of.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. That is what I was going to tell you - take it very slow. Here are some other thoughts.

1) Are you eating *enough* to fuel yourself?
    2) Are you drinking plenty of water the 24 hrs. before you do it?
    3) Are you getting adequate rest at night?
    4) Are you running in early morning or evening hours (when it is cooler)?

Sufficient food, water, rest and cool temps will help. Also, what terrain are you on? Is it straight flat? If not, the slightest of incline can really hold you back if you're not a speed racer yet. Note that I say "yet". You can do this! Don't get discouraged. If all of the above is not an issue for you, maybe you just need more walking. Increase the pace of your walking as much as possible. It may take months but your legs will become stronger.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I hate running. It might just not be your thing. Do you have other options for cardio? What if you did other things for a while to get your fitness up there, and then tried the running again in a month or two?
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    As one of your friends on MFP, I know that you tend to keep your carbs fairly low. Maybe you should try just a little boost of sugar before you run? You might find that you have more stamina. I know that I tire out more quickly if I haven't had a bowl of cereal or something beforehand.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    1) Are you eating *enough* to fuel yourself?
    2) Are you drinking plenty of water the 24 hrs. before you do it?
    3) Are you getting adequate rest at night?
    4) Are you running in early morning or evening hours (when it is cooler)?

I generally run in the evenings, so it's cooled down (though, I find that I have my best exercises/runs when it's really really hot out, strangely). I started switching things up so that I have consumed all my daily calories plus an extra 100-200 before I exercise, so that I have enough fuel. I do drink plenty of water and I get pretty decent rest. I also run on pretty flat terrain - often the track at the park, but sometimes flat streets in my neighborhood.
  • CeejayGee
    Options
    I hate running. It might just not be your thing. Do you have other options for cardio? What if you did other things for a while to get your fitness up there, and then tried the running again in a month or two?

That's my strategy now. I try to walk 4 miles a day almost every day and I find areas in my neighborhood with steep hills, etc so that I can build leg muscles, get my heart rate up, etc.

I also wonder if maybe I'm just not cut out for endurance? or maybe it'll just take longer. I'm not one of those people who "used to be in shape in high shcool" - I've been out of shape my whole life. So, I've *never* run a long distance before.
  • CeejayGee
    Options
    As one of your friends on MFP, I know that you tend to keep your carbs fairly low. Maybe you should try just a little boost of sugar before you run? You might find that you have more stamina. I know that I tire out more quickly if I haven't had a bowl of cereal or something beforehand.

I should try that. Once I did have pasta for dinner and then went out and I did feel a little more energetic. And tonight I did have some sugar and some potatoes before I worked out...but, still blahhh.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    just keep at it. it took me a long time to be able to run 5 mins!!! but gradually it got better and better. Running is different because you use your whole body. Now I can run 3 +miles without stopping
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Agreed!! Before a long distance run I have carbs....usually a banana
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    How about a Jog/Walk/Jog program first?
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html

You start by
    Jog 5 seconds then Walk 55 seconds
    repeat that interval for the half hour or whatever you train for.
    Next week
    Jog 10 seconds, Walk 50 seconds
    repeat that interval for the duration.
    And so on and so forth, add 5 seconds to your Jog each week that you feel up to it, and subtract 5 seconds from your walk.
    Until you get to
    Jog 30 seconds, Walk 30 seconds.
    Then you increase both
    Jog 35 seconds, Walk 35 seconds
    Jog 40 seconds, Walk 40 seconds
    Jog 45 seconds, Walk 45 seconds
    Jog 50 seconds, Walk 50 seconds
    Jog 55 seconds, Walk 55 seconds

When you get to
    Jog 1 minute, Walk 1 minute
    then just increase the Jog by :10 seconds each week as you feel up to it, but keep the Walk at the 1 minute.
    The GymBoss is perfect for this. Works great It's a double countdown timer.
    Beep, you jog, beep again, you walk, and it repeats itself like that
    http://gymboss.com/

If you really don't want to walk, then gradually reduce your walk when you get to
    Jog 5 mins, Walk 1 min
    then just add :15 seconds to your Jog, and subtract :15 seconds from your walk
    or something like that to wean yourself off the Walk.
    But I'd wait until I got to that 5 full minutes jog before I tapered my walk.
    :-)

C25K is a Very Strenuous Program.
    The "Conditioning Program" is a good prep for C25K

:-)
  • CeejayGee
    Options

Also, I'll take any excuse to have a bowl of cereal...so, maybe I'll try this :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Walking is great, but if you want to get running than I suggest going back to week one of C25k and repeating that until you are comfortable with those run intervals. (I took three weeks to move on from week one, them two weeks on week two).Then go to week 2 and don't move on until you are ok there.

And I know you say you are going slow, but try going slower still!
    I run really slowly but have managed to build up my endurance over about 7 months.
    And bumping up your carbs before a run is worth a try too.

Good luck!
  • CeejayGee
    Options
    Walking is great, but if you want to get running than I suggest going back to week one of C25k and repeating that until you are comfortable with those run intervals. (I took three weeks to move on from week one, them two weeks on week two).Then go to week 2 and don't move on until you are ok there.

Yeah, maybe I need to just repeat Week 3 over and over and over again. I guess I stopped doing C25k and started doing walking and other exercises (step aerobics, etc) because it didn't really feel like a challenge in terms of total time of the daily program, but the actual intervals were too hard.
    And I know you say you are going slow, but try going slower still!

No, seriously, I'm slow. I kid you not, once I was in my zone "running" and I looked beside me only to realize a pregnant speed walker was beating me!
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    Do you by chance take a beta blocker medication? We've discussed on another thread how difficult it is to get any training effect while on beta blockers. Just thought I'd mention it...
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Me too! I love biking. I had a 13 year lay off but I'm back at it again. I hope to do a 100 mile ride by next spring.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just completed C25k week 4...for the second time. The first week of it was rough. I made it through the 3 minutes with no problem and the first 5 minute section, but then totally died like 2 minutes into the final 5 minute run. So I decided that I would do that week over. I finished up on Saturday morning and actually was able to get through the 5 minute section. Now of course I am freaked out about starting week 5 tomorrow. If I can't do it, I will probably just do as much as I can and then repeat week 5 again if I have to. At this point I feel like I got far enough with week 4 to move on. But it is 100% ok to go back and re-do a week, but I would suggest getting back at it again...and there is NO shame in doing some walking in a race. I only trained for like 3 weeks before my first 5k and I did it in intervals and still managed to finish under 40 minutes which was my goal! :) Good luck!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    What speed to you run at? I started at 6mph, but it was too fast for me. I now run at 5mph. I felt slow at first, but I feel so accomplished when I increase my run time.

Also, you can modify your c25k program as you need to. I increase my time in 30 second increments.

Good luck!
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I also wonder if maybe I'm just not cut out for endurance? or maybe it'll just take longer. I'm not one of those people who "used to be in shape in high shcool" - I've been out of shape my whole life. So, I've *never* run a long distance before.

Me neither! I was "fat skinny" in high school, I was never really big but I was never AT ALL athletic. I am going to start a C25K program in September and am really worried about the endurance. I have always wanted to be a runner though, so I'm gonna go for it! Sorry no inspiration for you though, I was mostly reading for my own inspiration :)