Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I agree. There is nothing wrong with feeling hungry. Granted, I am not a volume eater either. I hate feeling weighed down with food.

I think that there are 2 types of fullness and you need a balance between them.

1. enough food- you have something to chew and there is enough on the plate so you actually feel like you put something in your body.
    2. enough flavor- you need to also satisfy your appetite. Eat stuff you like and if you need to bulk out a smaller serving of lasagna with some broccoli on the side, then do it. Getting a good balance of not only macros, but also textures and flavors will make your meals enjoyable and you hopefully won't feel hungry for more until it is time for more.

It also takes some time to go from eating large, oversized portions to smaller portions. If you have recently decreased your portion size significantly, you will feel hungry. It gets easier though. Your body has been used to being overstuffed and has taken that to be normal. It will adjust though; just give it a couple weeks years.
    I love this, I just fixed it for you :D
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat light within the day because i feel sharper and tend to eat a feast of a dinner to close out the day with a few smaller eats sprinkled around that meal. A large amount of protein & carbs tend to satiate me.

Same! I went from eating breakfast, snacks, lunch, snack dinner before weight loss to just eating a light lunch and then eating a huge dinner and late at night. The body really adapts. 1-2 bigger meals fills me more than eating smaller and more often. When I was used to eating throughout the day I always felt hungry, now I don't really want or need food until afternoon. I am also more productive at work without snacking distracting me, haha.
    Oh, and this too, or a variation of it, for me - I have thrived on anything from 7 small meals to 3 larger meals (that actually aren't really large, but normal), and I have adapted well, the biggest difference is in fewer dishes to wash, fewer interruptions in my day, kinda easier meal planning, but my need for variety means that I must be more creative; meal timings too, I have eaten all my food within 6 hours, and spread them out through 14 hours, and it's fine either way - the main thing is what you eat, not when you eat. That said, I have thrived on a lower carb diet (below 100 grams) while dieting, and now I enjoy a diet very close to the MFP default; I have been full and energized on the local food from very different places in the world, but I have also had bottomless days, so I really think it's a lot about mindset and expectations and mood and environment.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I find a mix of protein and fiber are very satisfying to me. My foods naturally lean towards a good deal of both.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I could wax eloquent about my undying love of peanut butter, but I'll just say fats with a little protein thrown in there as well. It's highly individual, though.

I will wax for you
    Peanut butter (chunky) & bread or Triscuit crackers
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just love fries. I mean.....L-O-V-E fries!! I started doing them in the oven and they are shockingly low in calories and they fill me. I usually do 2 servings and it is around 240 cals. :smiley:
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Enough carbs to keep your body from trying to go into ketosis but not enough to trigger insulin spikes along with a mix of proteins and fats. Keep your macros about 30-40% carbs.

Also, try intermittent fasting. I'm never hungry in the morning so I just wake up and get on with my day. By lunch I'm hungry and I can eat enough to be full with the calories saved from breakfast.
  • ThereAreManyNames
    ThereAreManyNames Posts: 54 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    protein and fiber have always worked for me.

I usually skip breakfast, then split my calories between an early lunch and dinner for big, filling meals. Trying to do tiny meals and snacks throughout the day just leaves me hungry all the time.

I'll make something like poached eggs and a porkchop with steamed broccoli, or do the 'breakfast for supper' thing with eggs, toast or hashbrowns and sausage if I'm especially hungry. Most work days I just throw four chicken thighs in a pan as soon I get home, season and pop in the over while I fix another pan of whatever veggie I feel like. Split that up between lunch and dinner and its really difficult to go over my calories.

If I eat a light lunch (which I typically do on days I'm working) I just think of that as clearing more room for an especially indulgent supper.

You really have to experiment around to find something that works specifically for you though.

edit:
    I just love fries. I mean.....L-O-V-E fries!! I started doing them in the oven and they are shockingly low in calories and they fill me. I usually do 2 servings and it is around 240 cals. :smiley:

Yeah...potatoes are actually really good and filling for less calories than you'd think. They get their bad rap because people drown them in cheese and ranch and butter I guess.

I took this as an example to show someone on another forum what 100 calories of red potatoes looks like:

JtmPXanH_o.jpg

Pair that with a couple scrambled eggs with an ounce of breakfast sausage crumbled in and it's a decently filling meal for like 350 calories total.
  • ThereAreManyNames
    edited July 2018
    Options
    (edit fail sorry)
  • ThereAreManyNames
    Options
    (quote is not edit...not sure how to delete this)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    I could wax eloquent about my undying love of peanut butter, but I'll just say fats with a little protein thrown in there as well. It's highly individual, though.

I will wax for you

Creamy, and a spoon :lol:
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »

I will wax for you

Creamy, and a spoon :lol:

You are right - a spoon is much more efficient - no wasted effort - but I'm a chunky kind of guy
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My body is strange. I can be full on something one day and the next day I have it and am starving an hour later. But typically what fills me (most of the time): cottage cheese, tuna, chicken, Greek yogurt, "heavy" pasta (such as lasagna made with meat).
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Eggs, potatoes, chicken, and large bowls of soup fill me up.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I forgot about potatoes!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Things like legumes and lentils and potatoes and sweet potatoes.
  • Nikolaijj
    Nikolaijj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Volume for me, I love a massive bowl of soup or a salad with a lot of vegetables. I also try to eat my protein nowadays, before myfitnesspal I was eating about half of what I needed in a day- fish is my go to.