Lifting Weights followed by sprinting?

thebomb4043
thebomb4043 Posts: 32 Member
edited July 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
should i do some sprint after compound lifting say squats, bench press, then sprint? is it taking away from building muscle? Also on rest days can i do sprints?...I wanna preserve and/or even gain muscle, I want to loose the 30%Body fat most importantly.
Thanks for any suggestions, opinion, inputs!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you want to do your cardio in the form of sprinting then I would do it alternate days to lifting.

Sprinting isn't resting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Sounds like a way to do two things badly!

What are you hoping to gain from the sprints?
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    I'd be surprised if you can sprint after a heavy lifting session. I myself am pretty drained post lifting.

I do my cardio on alternate days.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    These people are all quite right. If you are lifting hard, you're not going to be able to sprint well after and, base case scenario, you'll probably pull a hamstring.
    Do each on alternate days, if you are really committed to doing both.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Why do you think you need to do sprints for weight loss? Weight loss is calorie deficits. Sprints don't even burn that many calories. They do improve your Vo2 max though. Are you trying to improve that for a sport?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I'm too beat after a good weights workout to want to sprint. I guess I could do it by going lighter, but what's the point?
  • thebomb4043
    thebomb4043 Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks guys! each of you have a very good point and Im taking these as advise, and good ol constructive criticism. I want to loose fat, maintain muscle, and condition, and to overall be fit and functional. Thank you guys! 👍🏼✊🏼
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Again, why are you sprinting? As a calorie burning exercise running is second to none, but I'm not sure sprinting is the best approach.