I do not reach my goal of daily calories

Options
always count less calories than I should eat, its too much food!! so I am new here, and I need someone to explain what happens if I dont eat the number of calories per day, it always said,, you are eating too few cal!!! any advice

Replies

• wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Well first off, what is your calorie goal?
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Your body will go into starvation mode and store every calorie rather than using it for fuel and burning it off.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Your body will go into starvation mode and store every calorie rather than using it for fuel and burning it off.

Possibly. But MFP gives a one-size-fits-all approach that isn't appropriate.
  • Bluejay789
    Bluejay789 Posts: 176
    Options
    Eat things higher in calories such as cashews or walnuts so you body does not think it is in starvation mode. Answer below is right on the money.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Threadjack.

If her body stores every new calorie instead of using it for fuel and burning it off because of this dreaded starvation mode, she'd still be burning calories because her body would burn what calories it had stored before. I need to find this magical place where they are handing out nutritionist degrees.

Threadjack over.
  • ladderguy055
    Options
    I hear this alot, but it's not completely accurate. You can be under your "goal" calories and still be OK. Alot depends on your metabolism, what foods you are eating, whether or not your execizing, body type...just alot of stuff.

Now I'm not advocating starving yourself, but alot about a food plan is being comfortable with what your doing and eating and knowing your own body.

Good luck.
  • ladderguy055
    Options

Threadjack.

If her body stores every new calorie instead of using it for fuel and burning it off because of this dreaded starvation mode, she'd still be burning calories because her body would burn what calories it had stored before. I need to find this magical place where they are handing out nutritionist degrees.

Threadjack over.

:-) Like it.
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    Options
    I have to eat 1400 - 1600 cal per day, depends of the excersice, i can eat more!! so Im I'm working with p90x, insanity and turbo fire,
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If that happens to me I sometimes grab a piece of fruit or eat a yogurt to get the calories up a tad, but not ruin my progress for the day.
  • Captainfakeeye
    Options
    Hi! I actually have the same problem. I eat normally for me (meaning I've been eating like this for the past few years!) and I never reach my calorie allowance. I think that some people just naturally don't need a lot of food. Of course, I can't speak for you, but I think that the only way for me to lose weight is not to cut out calories (since I already don't eat enough, apparently), but to exercise.
  • fitnowandforever
    fitnowandforever Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm doing P90X too! If I'm way under my calories goal, I try to eat foods with higher caloric values - peanut butter with toast or apples, salads with nuts and dried fruit, or yogurt with granola (granola's great because it's a lot of calories for just a small amount). That way I can reach my calorie goal without feeling like I'm going to explode :)
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    First of all, are you sure you're counting all your calories? Are you measuring with cups and teaspoons?

If you are sure you're counting everything and you're not feeling hungry all day, then I'd say just keep doing what you're doing. MFP gives you a baseline, it will take you some time to determine what level is right for you.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people are fat from malnutrition.

Well, not fat, but swollen. They look fat but it's just their internal organs swollen. like with Beriberi.

I wish to know: if someone habitually eats less than 1400 cals a day why do they need to go on a diet? How could they have put the weight on in the first place?

It's possible you just cut all the junk from your life but the diet wants you to replace it with meals. I spent years eating nothing - oh, apart from that chocolate bar in the morning, and those eight cups of coffee with 3 tsp of sugar each... and ... and...

I hate to think how many calories a day I was eating without eating. I was not eating meals. So if I removed all the junk I would not have been eating 1000 calories a day.

Revel in the eating. it takes maybe 1800 cals a day to function (at my age, no exercise, over forty). so at the very least if you're losing 300 cals a day, and there are 3500 odd cals in a pound of human fat, then you're losing a pound of fat every 11 days.

otherwise lose faster but I truly wouldn't go lower than 1200. I don't think the machine will let you anyway.
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Agree with what's been said above - try adding in some nuts and other healthy calories boosters. I believe it's important to listen to your body though. Some days I'm not hungry and I'm satisfied on 1000 calories, so I don't push myself to eat more. Other days I'm ravenous and I'll eat all my allowance plus my exercise calories (and sometimes then some!). As long as your not taking appetite suppressants, your body will let you know if it needs more food. Listening to your hunger signals is one of the key skills that will help you lose weight and eventually maintain your weight loss, so don't push yourself to eat if you're really not feeling it.

Good luck!