Heavy (400lbs) 25 y/o male looking for a mentor

Options
RyanVelazquez013
RyanVelazquez013 Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2018 in Getting Started
Hello, my name is Ryan. I have struggled with weight loss for many years and failed every time. I’ve paid lots of money for programs and diets and I’m still at my heaviest. I work in the automotive industry which requires a lot of time out of my day. I am 25 years old married with the son and depressed about my weight. I’m looking for someone that can help me in this journey, Help keep me motivated, and be a friend.

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Hi Ryan. I'll certainly do my best by you. I'm 34, with 2 kids living in London. I'm currently 247lbs having been 266 a couple of months ago. I admit to not logging HERE however I do count my calories daily. Look forward to hearing back from you buddy.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Ryan: I am 43 with two young (under 10 years old) kids. I lost 95lbs approx 4 years ago and have generally (I always put 12-15 back in around the holidays and take it of in the spring). I am currently in the best over all shape of my life.

It was simple process - not easy - simple.

1. Calorie in and Calorie out tracking with MFP
    2. Food scale
    3. Finding excercise I’m non-traditional ways because I loathe traditional gyms.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • RyanVelazquez013
    RyanVelazquez013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, thank you very much for your replies. I have a question about MFP. Am I trying to get the cal. count on the main page to 0 of keep it the same?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Hi Ryan,

Think of the calorie number as your target. Don't stress about going a little over or under. Having a red number showing you're over does not mean you have failed. It's just data about what you ate. This is a journey and some days will be harder than others. Know that one day does not define you. Log your food, every day, as accurately as possible. Your diet will have the biggest impact on your weight loss. Don't skimp on protein. It helps you feel more satisfied. I've found that the days I struggle the most are the days where I don't have enough.

Exercise is good for fitness but not required to lose weight. So, I'd encourage you to focus more on the food and just "move a little more" each day. Walking is a great way to start with exercise if you aren't already physically active. It doesn't even have to be much activity. If you aren't doing any, you could start with only a few minutes each day. Then the next week add another minute or two when it becomes easier. If you are already physically active, think of small ways to increase your activity a little bit at a time or different activities you'd like to try.

Logging your weight..... Some people get caught up in weighing themselves daily. This is really a personal decision, and you need to decide what works best for you. I am a data person, and for me I think of it like a science experiment to see how much my weight fluctuates throughout the day. It helps me understand the data and not go nuts when I end up gaining weight one week after "doing everything right". (Disclaimer, although I weigh myself daily, I only log my weight in MFP once per week.) Other people don't like to look at the data. The big fluctuations are emotional triggers for some people and it's unhealthy for them to see the data. So, they weigh themselves weekly or monthly. It's really a personal preference. Find what works best for you. But know that results on the scale take time. You'll likely lose a lot quickly at first, then after a few weeks it will slow down. Or you might even find you gain a pound or two after a few weeks. It's ok. It's normal.