Foods with hidden calories/high calorie sneaky foods

Options
What are some foods that’s you had to eat a lot of that you didn’t realize we’re really high in calories?

Mine would be Mayonnaise, Ketcup, Stir fry sauce, bananas compared to other fruits, booze!
I still eat all these things just more aware and practice portion control!

Replies

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Do you mean food that you expected to be a certain amount, but found out it was way more then you thought? Booze I suppose. The amount per oz. for some things is really astonishing. Especially if it has a creamy flavor. I know I have more, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Basically anything creamy.....
    Anything that you can see oil separation ....
  • MixedbarbieMOM1991
    MixedbarbieMOM1991 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Beer☹️
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ugh yes peanut butter for sure!!!!
    & nuts too but there so good!
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good craft beer...like a nice hoppy IPA!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butter, starbucks fraps, cheese, pasta, breads,
    All these things that when I measure.... the serving looks so small :(
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes pasta!!!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    No big surprises there. I always knew that hundred grams of sugary snacks would be around 370kcal, and hundred grams of crisps over 500. But the big eye opener for me was that eating a bag of hard crisps actually takes 370kcal out of this small, 40+ girl's allowance.

Some eye openers were calories in ready-made products. There's just so much 'crap' in there that I would not cook/bake with: extra much oil and sugar especially to give taste and texture to industrially made food. Now, don't get me wrong: I don't mind industrial food. I just think that if I make a cake myself it's lower calorie and tastes better.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I'm super conscious of what I eat but my weak spot is profiteroles, it makes me sad how many calories are in one of those tiny little balls of chocolate creamy pastry heaven :(
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If I am on the road and have to resort to motorway services food/snacks. It always shocks me how they can take the relatively low calorie ingredients in a small salad and turn it into a 350 cal bowl of nothingness by adding sooo much dressing. Some are considerate and include the dressing in a little pot but many don't. Where separate, I always think the nutritional info ought to list the dressing separately too.

ETA: I also put down a lot of my weight gain to eating too much fruit - I cannot buy enough and can clear my very large fruit bowl in an afternoon. I just love all the fruit! Serious willpower to leave some for other people (and keep within my calorie goals - needless to say I am always over on sugar)
  • sadmaker
    sadmaker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Almonds. Had NO idea. Was feeling so good about myself bc I was eating healthy instead of chips or M&Ms
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Most restaurant dishes.

Also, I should mention that I eat strictly kosher. Several chain coffee shops in my area arrange with a local kosher bakery to provide them with kosher-certified wraps and pastries to sell in their stores. I'm in Ontario and these chains need to provide the calories on everything they sell, whether it's their product or not. So, discovering that apple and cherry turnovers are 600 calories apiece? A large (say 'width of my palm' and 1/2" thick) chocolate-white chocolate chip cookie is 380? A jam rugelach—about the size and shape of a cinnamon buffalo bun, but more cookie-like than bread like is 1240?

I haven't given up on bakery treats, but before I indulge, I try to research in advance and figure out if I can make one fit my day. (I'm happy to split a custard donut with someone and enjoy my 120 calories. But even half a turnover is too much of a 'hit' when I'm on 1360 to lose 1/2lb per week before exercise.)