Sugar intake

Options
lfruh
lfruh Posts: 2 Member
Does fruit sugar count in over all sugar count?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes...MFP doesn't differentiate between added and naturally occurring sugar.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MFP counts it all as sugar and your body counts it all as sugar.
  • s1im62
    s1im62 Posts: 29,364 Member
    Options
    I almost always go over the standard daily 'sugar limit' by drinking a few ounces of milk, eating some granola, and two or three servings of fruits and vegetables. Even if I cut out the milk and granola, seems like there's no way to eat the 'recommended servings' of fruits and veggies without overshooting the sugar target.

Maybe somebody sells capsules of fruits and veggies with all the sugar removed? Probably so, but I'd wager all the fiber and natural nutrients would be gone as well.

For now, I'm not going to worry about the sugar that is naturally in fruits and veggies, just severely limit any processed stuff (like chocolate :( ) that has lots of added sugar in the mix.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I swapped out Sugar and Sodium for Fiber and Iron, as I find these more useful for me to track.

When I'm getting a lot of added sugar, I'm also getting a lot of calories, so just pay attention to calories. (Baked goods and premium ice cream have lots more calories than fruit.)
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    s1im62 wrote: »
    I almost always go over the standard daily 'sugar limit' by drinking a few ounces of milk, eating some granola, and two or three servings of fruits and vegetables. Even if I cut out the milk and granola, seems like there's no way to eat the 'recommended servings' of fruits and veggies without overshooting the sugar target.

Well, yes. And that's why the sugar recommendations refer to added sugar and not sugar naturally present in fruit.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »

Well, yes. And that's why the sugar recommendations refer to added sugar and not sugar naturally present in fruit.

What recommendations are you speaking of? Since sugar is sugar as far as your body is concerned (some differences in spike and what nor matter to people with specific medical issues), the ones I have seen are just about total sugar.
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »

What recommendations are you speaking of? Since sugar is sugar as far as your body is concerned (some differences in spike and what nor matter to people with specific medical issues), the ones I have seen are just about total sugar.

The recommendations that recommend how many "recommended servings" (to quote the OP), or more often they actually recommend a percentage of total daily energy intake. And they refer to a percentage of total energy intake that should come from added sugars. It doesn't really matter which specific ones I'm referring to because for every country I've looked at they're typically the same. E.g. US dietary recommendations are for <10% added sugar (sometimes referred to as extrinsic sugar): https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-7/