Diet Coke Issues

Options
I have to admit...I'm addicted to diet coke, not just a little, seriously. I used to drink like three of the 16 oz. mountain dew bottles a day and I switched over to diet coke. I'm drinking about 8-10 cans a day. What has been everyone's experience with this. Does drinking diet coke impede your weight loss? I really want to cut back, but I'm SO busy, I can't even begin to think how to. I also feel like I'm finally conquering food in a way and have been really disciplined and I don't want to have anything that will take me off track, it's like my safe indulgence. Just want to know if anyone stopped drinking diet soda and had it radically change their weight loss. What do you guys think?

95488.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have to admit...I'm addicted to diet coke, not just a little, seriously. I used to drink like three of the 16 oz. mountain dew bottles a day and I switched over to diet coke. I'm drinking about 8-10 cans a day. What has been everyone's experience with this. Does drinking diet coke impede your weight loss? I really want to cut back, but I'm SO busy, I can't even begin to think how to. I also feel like I'm finally conquering food in a way and have been really disciplined and I don't want to have anything that will take me off track, it's like my safe indulgence. Just want to know if anyone stopped drinking diet soda and had it radically change their weight loss. What do you guys think?

95488.png
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    that is quite a bit, and that much caffeine can contribute to water retention. I'd recommend tapering off slowly. you won't get so much caffeine withdrawal if you do it slowly and replace it with water. good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    oops doublepost!:blushing:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    OOOfff! That's a lot of soda!! :noway:

I know there are a couple threads here dedicated to diet sodas, but that's a lot of chemicals you're drinking.

Maybe start buying some flavored waters to help you beat your addiction. It can be done. :flowerforyou:

Good luck! :smile:
  • princesslisa88
    Options
    I was drinking a lot of soda and slowly cut back. It's hard. Like you said, you don't want to throw yourself off track. Make mini goals... Like if you know you are drinking 8 per day - make it your goal to only drink 6 per day for a week or two. Once you have accomplished that - make your goal 4 or 5 per day and slowly start drinking more and more water. I lost 8 lbs in january from changing my eating habits and drinking less and less diet soda and more and more water.

If you like the "fizz" and start feeling like you need more energy once you start decreasing - I know of an energy drink that is like cherry coke..... I love it. zero carbs and no sugar... I have one of these with my lunch.
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Can't say I've ever found it a hinderance- just bear in mind that MFP seems to think it's calorie free, when it's actually 2 calories (rounding up) a can. It's not good for you in general, though. I'm a total cafeine fiend. Also consider if it's affecting your sleep, as that can slow weight loss. I'm trying to cut down on the caffiene myself- try to get my energy through healthy eating and getting more than my usual 4 hours of sleep a night! If you want to quit or cut down, I'll happily do it with you.
  • Bambi_cafe
    Options
    I was wondering a similar question to this the other day. :smile: I googled it and there were quite a few stories about water retention, etc.
    Like everyone else said, try cutting it down slowly :wink:
  • Alyshia
    Options
    I also really love diet Coke, especially with a lemon in it! YUM!!!!!! Anyways, I try to drink all my 8 glasses of water first before I treat myself to a diet coke. Try that and you just might not have enough time in the day to drink as much soda because you have to get your water first!!
  • karnold0026
    Options
    Any coke even if it has diet in front of it can really be detrimental to your weight loss! I stopped drinking it all together and in the first week i lost 5 lbs! So it made a difference! I was a big diet coke fiend to before i started dieting. I would suggest drinking water while at work and working out. Maybe one diet coke a day with dinner. I am a big fan of tea so when we go out to eat i always order and unsweet tea and sweeten it myself if sweet n low or equal. A much better substitue! GOOD LUCK!!!:drinker:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I can't completely relate but I was drinking about 2 diet cokes a day and I could feel my problem getting worse cuz I was craving it all the time. I just decided to cut it out completely (now only on occasion) and the first day was the hardest. I got huge headaches all day (and that's with only 1-2 cans a day).

I also agree that you should reduce it gradually.

Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • raelee
    raelee Posts: 10
    Options
    I also really love diet Coke, especially with a lemon in it! YUM!!!!!! Anyways, I try to drink all my 8 glasses of water first before I treat myself to a diet coke. Try that and you just might not have enough time in the day to drink as much soda because you have to get your water first!!

Alyshia- I love this idea! Great thinking.:drinker:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    The worst part is that these beverages contain caffeine, which is a diruretic causing the body to excrete water. In fact the net result is often dehydration. So if you are a 'heavy diet-soda' drinker, you may be able to improve your health by simply drinking 6 to 8 glasses of pure, fresh water a day! Your body will thank you! Cut back slowly until you are getting all your fluids from herbal tea or mmmmmmmmmmm WATER!
  • MattySparky
    Options
    man that's alot of diet coke... 8 -10 cans/ day... yikes! ever wonder what the artificial sweeteners are doing to you? It's not good thats for sure.
  • running4myhealth
    Options
    I used to drink 4 cans a day and stopped about a month ago.

I lost 5 lbs in one week. I didn't change anything about my diet or exercise. I'm convinced it was the diet coke.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I have almost completely stopped all soda. I'll drink a sip here and there but only on a weekend. Otherwise, water and milk all week. Also some Trader joes Organic mint tea after dinner. Helps the digestion!
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am addicted too. Giving up is so hard. I get these headaches that make me feel like puking all the time
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    do you appreciate your teeth? I assume you still have your real ones. The acids in the coke are eating your enamel....at a minum..use a straw...I was a 3-5 cans of Diet coke a day and quit cold turkey but I still use coffee so didnt get the caffiene withdrawal....botoom line and to be blunt...Diet coke is poison ...when I quit it...I noticed my skin clear up and started feeling better ...but I also changed several diet related things....my take...give it up
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I stoped drinking regular coke (couldn't drink diet due to the aspartame) 3 days ago, and the headaches are bad, but I honestly feel better already. I notice a difference in my stomach, as I don't feel nearly as bloated. It encourages me to keep staying away from it.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Causes water retention. I may have 1-2 diet "mini" cans of soda per week, but that's it. Two wknds ago I overloaded on diet coke with Rum at a social function. Come Monday, I weighed in and was 5 1/2 lbs heavier. I drank the crap out of water for the next 4 days and the 5 1/2 lbs disappeared. Goes to show how badly soda, diet or not, can retain water! Stay away! :noway:

98575.png