PCOS and Metformin

Options
Hello i'm sticking this under food and nutrtion because I think it tied directly to my nutritional downfall.

Ok So to all my CYSTERS out there... Do any of you take Metformin or the Metformin/Spironolactone combo for your pcos?

The reason I ask is because I've spoken to a few fells PCO's and and they all said helped them shed weight but I started taking it and went on a food rampage. So bad I had to walk away from the site for a bit as I got extremely depressed by the results and sudden lack of control.

Is it just me? did the meds effect me negatively? I have noticed the mood swings calm down and the hair on my face look less like I belong on BEARD WARS but still... the eating was insane. Lets just say i lost all control and am surprised I didn't eat someone's arm.

Let me know your insight if you've taken it. Thanks

Replies

• FruitLoop05317
    Options
    i took metformin for a year...and finally i just stopped taking it...my doctor told me the weight would fall off...i wouldnt say i went on an eating rampage...but in that year i only lost 25 lbs...and i lived with diarrhea sooo bad that i hated to leave the house. i have hair on my face too and nothing has helped except losing weight has slowed it down...when i reach 200 lbs im going to have laser hair removal...i have about 50 lbs to go...all i can tell u is there is no magic pill my doctor was possitive that it would work and told me it would work for me because it worked for her, but i shouldnt have believed that because she was over weight herself...at any rate, sorry u had a bad experience with it, i would say just do your best to control your eating.
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I took it for mine for 4 years. I lost 20lbs or so getting used to the drug at first (worst side effect ever...s#!ting your brains out!), but once I started to eat a diabetic diet I did fine, problem is...I didn't always follow it (a lot of the time)..and I would continue to s#!t my brains out off and on for the 4 years until I completely blew my diet and had several weeks of it. Doctor said after 4 years of taking it I shouldn't be having this problem, so I tried 2 other types of Metformin and all with the same results.

I didn't tell him I was non compliant on diabetic and sugar free foods..(my fault).

So..I was moves to Januvia...way more $$ then Metformin, but now I follow a diabetic lifestyle and enforce all the willpower I possess to stay on track. I is getting easier and find that I don't mind it so much now as I did 6 years ago.

Just so you know I do have PCOS (since I was 24)..and the type 2 was brought on by PCOS at the age of 30 I diagnosed, but had symptoms long before that. I would start a very low carb and sugar free lifestyle it will help in the weight loss.

Good luck!
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I tried metformin for about 5 months, i hated how it made me feel and it didn't really do anything for me. I stopped taking it and my symptoms are getting better from just plain old exercise and healthy eating.
  • healthysew
    healthysew Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    hey! I am on both too for pcos and i think they work well. the spriro definitely helps a lot w the acne and i dont think the metformin makes it "fall off" i think it does help. I think you have to be eating right and excercise for it to assist you, but since i joined mfp ive lost like 26 pounds since april. so its progress but slow.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for all of your input. i meet up with the endo doc in september and talk about adjustments to be made. sooo yeah. :)

i'm not sure what happened to me but i may have just temporarily lost control.