Need help with Munching

I have a big problem
I work in a kitchen, afternoon/Evening shift
I do fairly well with my eating. Healthy Breakfast usually and a healthy Lunch then I go to work and It's Like Every spare piece of food manages to make itself into my mouth. so from 6 til 9 I usually consume about 400 calories. matters on the shifts too.
If I work 8 til 4. I only eat 100 calories at work. Im not sure how it works.
And Im not sure how to avoid taking in these calories.
I love my Job so leaving it is not a option. Chewing gums gives me headaches and I drink over 22 oz of water in the shift of 6 til 9.

Replies

• goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    I think it comes down to will power rather than relying on some trick.. Hard I know :(

Having said that, when I'm surrounded by, and tempted by snacks, I just imagine how many miles I have to run to burn it off.

When you crack it, there will a great sense of achievement!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    the only way to stop is by will power im afraid. Picture that food that your tempted to eat, and now picture what you will look like in a years time if you continue to munch on it! now reverse it and picture yourself in a years time from avoiding these munchy snacks and see how gorgeous and happy you feel.

Its human nature, we are our own worst enemy and temptation is all around us. Ask a work buddy to have a go at you everytime they see you chewing....pretty soon youll get sick on the nagging and will stop :o)

goodluck x
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    lock it in as an expected calorie expense.

That takes the heat out of it.

Then maybe you can finesse one snack, or two snacks... or three... over time without any stress.

I've learned not to use willpower. It is finite and runs out when you need it most. I find acceptance easier. you are a river, you go around the stone, you do not try to remove the stone from the river bed.

gor blimey I'm deep an wise tonight! :P
  • I used to work in kitchens and if we were caught eating we would have gotten our backsides kicked. Trying looking at it from outside the "I want to lose weight" box. Look at it from these angles instead:
    * Technically it's stealing.
    * It's a hygiene issue (putting your hand near your mouth or to your mouth).
    * Customers don't want to see people in the kitchen eating tit bits.

Ask your co-workers or manager to tell you off if they see you doing it. Have you tried hypnotherapy (there are apps) to stop you doing it. It's useless munching (as you know) because you're consuming a meal worth of calories without the pleasure & enjoyment of selecting a meal & sitting down to enjoy it. You deserve to not munchie and eat something nice properly.

Good luck.
  • Bring something you can snack on without feeling guilty and take a bite of that whenever you want.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    I dont think it counts as stealing since I'm standing right beside my Boss and we're usually eating the same thing. I don't eat on line Any food I eat I take off Line then wash my hands. I know the food safety rules.
    Customers can't see us. Kitchen is behind the waitress area which is blocked off with doors and a wall.
    Its very useless munchies and half the time. I'll walk away with the stuff in the pan to take to the Dish pit and the garbage and just pop it in my Mouth, No thought involved until Im about to swallow and its like damn. a bad habit i picked up and do almost without thinking.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    In your situation I wouldn't eat anything until right before I went to work and then I would eat half my daily calories. Eat lots of protein and fiber and you will be good to go.