Cardio + Weightlifting?

Options
So I recently added additional cardio to my weekly schedule. I have been doing 1 hr of cardio plus 45min-1hr of weight training 3 x week, plus 30min-1hr of cardio 2 other days per week. My trainer today heard my comment on my lack of increased strength in weight-resistent machines for my hamstrings. He indicated that he thought I was loosing muscle because I was doing too much cardio on the days that I weight train. Is there a recommendation of how much one should or shouldn't do of cardio on the same days as weight training? I added the extra cardio as my weight seemed to plateau. I notice that the MFP indicates a daily goal of cardio for 90min/day. So I'm confused between my trainer and MFP. Help please!

Replies

• mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'd advise you to listen to your trainer (if you trust him in general)......after all you can discuss your specific goals and conditions with him whereas MFP is cut over a generic template that can not possibly take into account all the variations there is in the population using it.

If you don't really trust your trainer, then that is a whole other matter.......
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i don't know what you weigh but as you get smaller the amount of muscle does also shrink too to stay with your size so to speek,but as i say that when you loose alot of weight!
    if it is only a little weight and muscle you have lost then i really would not worry too much it will sort it self out! make sure you are drinking your water tho!
  • pantoine
    pantoine Posts: 12
    Options
    Your trainer is right: you're over-training! The very *best* way to get past a plateau is to add weight training to your mix and drop some cardio, in *addition* to playing with your diet. I'd cut some carbs and do the weight training, and up the protein intake a tad.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've read that after 45-60 mins of mod-high intensity workout your body may need to start breaking down muscles to fuel the continued workload so this may relate to 'overtraining'.

I've told MFP that I intend to do 90 minutes, 4 days per week but it still sets me an exercise target of 90mins EVERY day.
  • tonmoii
    tonmoii Posts: 12
    Options
    In my opinion, this is what I do, 30 mins of weight training, then I do 30 mins of cardio,

You can do it anyway that suits you, but that suits me more.

Also for my cardio im doing that c25k circuit thingy, seeing how far i can go =]

on my third week now and going strong
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the MFP exercise goal is set what whatever you put it as when you first logged all your details.

My aim was to do 30 mins 3 times a week, so my exercise goal shows up as 30 mins per day and 90 mins per week.