That look

Options
I've been maintaining for a while but today while out for a walk, I got "the look." I was talking with another women who had been biking and stopped for a water break. We were talking about the surrounding trails and she mentioned that she was just getting back into biking and how difficult it was to get back into shape. When I said, yeah, it's tough, I got the look. You know the look. It's how can you know what it's like to get back into shape (or be overweight, or struggle with weight, etc.). Funny how we judge people when we know nothing about them! Even though she was heavier than me, she was definitely in better shape for biking. I haven't been on a bike in over three years!!

Replies

• HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You know, I think about this a lot. I always smile and wave at other runners/walkers--I usually just see two or three people on my route, so don't worry, my arm is not constantly waving :) Anyway, I especially try to look friendly and non-judgmental toward people who are overweight or appear to be newbie runners. I hope it doesn't come across as creepy. I know I look more like a "stereotypical" runner now that I'm thinner, but about three years ago I weighed 100 pounds more. This is the first time in my life that I've ever been an "ideal" weight. I know what it's like to be the obese runner, even if nobody I see during a run realizes that I know that.

I want to give words of encouragement and pride in what they are doing for themselves, but I am an introvert and anyway feel that they would just think I was some demented creep.

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I definitely can relate to this.

Some people have assumed I've been fit my whole life and can't relate to being overweight. But I've been overweight most of life and only been fit and at a healthy weight for the last few years!

You just don't know what another person has been through and where they started from.

Exactly. People see you as you are now and think it's always been that way. They have no idea the amount of hard work and sweat that went into it.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Yesterday a student at the hospital I work at came up to me and asked if I lifted weights. I said no. I haven't in a few years. She was like...no way...look at your arms. You can clearly tell.

What I didn't tell her is that I lost weight and muscles I had hidden under all that is now showing. lol
    I used to lift weights a few years ago so that must still hang around.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    You know, I think about this a lot. I always smile and wave at other runners/walkers--I usually just see two or three people on my route, so don't worry, my arm is not constantly waving :) Anyway, I especially try to look friendly and non-judgmental toward people who are overweight or appear to be newbie runners. I hope it doesn't come across as creepy. I know I look more like a "stereotypical" runner now that I'm thinner, but about three years ago I weighed 100 pounds more. This is the first time in my life that I've ever been an "ideal" weight. I know what it's like to be the obese runner, even if nobody I see during a run realizes that I know that.

I want to give words of encouragement and pride in what they are doing for themselves, but I am an introvert and anyway feel that they would just think I was some demented creep.

Yeah, I think that saying something would be creepier than just smiling and waving, so I don't say anything. (Although sometimes I see people running in clothing that is clearly not comfortable, like a sports bra that isn't supportive at all, and I REALLY want to recommend something better...but I don't.)