working out with sciatica nerve pain

Options
I just recently started back to exercising again. My sciatica nerve pain (from a bulging disk in my lower back) i think, flared up again. If i had to guess how & why it flared up again i would say that maybe it was the way i was doing my ab crunches on the ball, maybe too much strain on my lower back. Or maybe it was the prolonged standing at work. Or both. I was studying online about exercises to avoid when you have sciatica issues with your lower back, & i read articles saying when you have sciatica pain, to avoid over-head press or shoulder press & avoid lifting weights over your head, puts more stress on the spine. and to avoid bent-over rows deadlifts, squats with barbell or dumbbells, good morning. Some articles said ab crunches is o to do, but others said not. I been doing these exercises, but with small weights like 8, 10 & 12 lb. But with deadlift 40 lbs. Should i just avoid ding these exercises listed for a few wees? or can i still do them but with very lights weights maybe say 5 lbs.? Does anybody else have sciatica nerve issues due to lower back issues?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Do you have a physical therapist you can consult on this?
  • borichfan1
    borichfan1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have a mildly herniated disc between L4 and L5, I don't really have issues with any lifting exercises as long as I'm using proper form and not adding weight too quickly. I'm extra careful with deadlifts. But everyone is different and I was never told to restrict any activities by my doctor. I would check with your physician.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't be doing crunches with a bulging disk. Check out Stu McGill's curl up. In fact, his big 3 fixed my herniated disk.

Don't do anything that hurts. No axial loading. Go to a physical therapist.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    DH does and there are a lot of things he doesn't do - he doesn't run and he certainly doesn't jump. His dr told him what not to do - you should have a session without someone who can advise you, too.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Get thee to a physical therapist. I work with mine once every month or two, let her know my goals and we work on developing a plan to tide me over until the next visit. Once I hit my goals, I set up another appointment to get new exercises.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have a mildly herniated disc between L4 and L5, I don't really have issues with any lifting exercises as long as I'm using proper form and not adding weight too quickly. I'm extra careful with deadlifts. But everyone is different and I was never told to restrict any activities by my doctor. I would check with your physician.

Same here, though mine was beyond mild. Thankfully I had a doctor that was well experienced with barbell training and knew to continue to train and correct any form flaws.

The odd thing that data has shown the greater the herniation, the better chance it will heal itself. Proper form and of course programming will fix most cases.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

This.

The odd thing that data has shown the greater the herniation, the better chance it will heal itself. Proper form and of course programming will fix most cases.

I wonder why that is? Very interesting.

There was a time I was so down. I never thought my herniation would heal. Every day I'm thankful that little bugger went away.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See a physio
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

This.

I wonder why that is? Very interesting.

There was a time I was so down. I never thought my herniation would heal. Every day I'm thankful that little bugger went away.

Feigenbaum was glossing over it recently and just one of those things that made him even laugh at the oddity that is best to have a eruption from a healing standpoint. I'm sure there a few factors that make sense if I read through the whole thing when I have the time.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I just try to avoid what really aggravates it and do some extra streching. Mine is probably piriformis syndrome and deadlifts, especially sumo, seem to bother it right now. I switched to split leg lunge and thrusts last workout.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Do you know you have a bulging disk from a doctor's diagnosis with an MRI? And does the doctor say that is the reason for your pain? Bulging disks can cause much pain or be asymptomatic. A psoas, SI joint and/or piriformis issue could be the root cause of your pain.

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica/what-piriformis-syndrome
    http://www.berkeleywellness.com/fitness/injury-prevention/article/get-know-your-psoas-muscles
    https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sacroiliac-joint-dysfunction/sacroiliac-si-joint-exercises-sciatic-pain

Look for a good physical therapist.
  • quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had this issue last month. I stopped my normal workout routine. I started doing yoga stretches. Adrienne on YouTube has a video for sciatica that helped. The only exercise I have been doing since the pain started is walking, paying close attention to posture and stride. It took less than a week to feel a difference. It's been a month, and I feel very little pain. Will continue for one more month for healing measure. After one month, I am going to continue to avoid things like crunches, but start to slowly incorporate more into my routine.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Same here, though mine was beyond mild. Thankfully I had a doctor that was well experienced with barbell training and knew to continue to train and correct any form flaws.

You are fortunate to have found a good physician. Still searching.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    quebot wrote: »
    I had this issue last month. I stopped my normal workout routine. I started doing yoga stretches. Adrienne on YouTube has a video for sciatica that helped. The only exercise I have been doing since the pain started is walking, paying close attention to posture and stride. It took less than a week to feel a difference. It's been a month, and I feel very little pain. Will continue for one more month for healing measure. After one month, I am going to continue to avoid things like crunches, but start to slowly incorporate more into my routine.

Can you share the link?