Have you lost over 100 pounds? Tell me about your experience, please!

Options
I_Am_in_Here_Somewhere
I_Am_in_Here_Somewhere Posts: 2 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I would love to hear from people who have actually done this-- specifically, how much of a calorie cut you made at the beginning, and how you made the transition from comfort/boredom eater or grazer or fast food queen or whatever to becoming a successful loser of weight. Did you make changes gradually or all at once? Did you follow a diet plan or just eat whatever and count calories?

I'm 200 pounds overweight and kind of struggling to get started. I go to the grocery store and feel torn about what to buy-- do I get what I really feel like, or what I feel I "should" eat, or some of both? Not even ready to think about exercise at this point, I just want to get the food and calorie part sorted in a way that I can live with and maintain.

I live alone, so I guess that makes it easier, theoretically.

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Lots of stories on the Success story board - many people there have lost 100lbs+ but all of the losers there are inspirational and informative regardless.Lots of wise words and motivation there.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I encourage to look in success stories forum, there are lots of great stories (including mine lol).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear from people who have actually done this-- specifically, how much of a calorie cut you made at the beginning, and how you made the transition from comfort/boredom eater or grazer or fast food queen or whatever to becoming a successful loser of weight. Did you make changes gradually or all at once? Did you follow a diet plan or just eat whatever and count calories?

I'm 200 pounds overweight and kind of struggling to get started. I go to the grocery store and feel torn about what to buy-- do I get what I really feel like, or what I feel I "should" eat, or some of both? Not even ready to think about exercise at this point, I just want to get the food and calorie part sorted in a way that I can live with and maintain.

I live alone, so I guess that makes it easier, theoretically.

Your questions and situation seems familiar, so I hope I can contribute even if I "only" had 50 pounds to shed.

how much of a calorie cut you made at the beginning?
    I started out just by eating breakfast, lunch and dinner, and not counting calories. I started to walk. Then I started to count calories, stayed low the first couple of weeks, then stuck like glue to the suggested amount.

how you made the transition from comfort/boredom eater or grazer or fast food queen or whatever to becoming a successful loser of weight
    I am working on my mindset and attitudes every day. I use a range of techniques, one of them is "I am a person who". For instance, I tell myself "I think and feel like a normal weight person", "I am no longer a person who sits and eats candy all day", "I eat anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time". I "surf" urges. I eat for pleasure, but I don't abuse food. I eat treats now and then, but the majority of my diet is ordinary food, eaten in appropriate portions, at regular intervals.

Did you make changes gradually or all at once?
    Yes to both. I implemented many changes, stuck to some, discarded many, learnt some new ones, always working on making them work better for me.

Did you follow a diet plan or just eat whatever and count calories?
    This time around, I started to just eat what I want and count calories. I maintain my weight just by the things described above.

I go to the grocery store and feel torn about what to buy-- do I get what I really feel like, or what I feel I "should" eat, or some of both?
    Solving this, was a gamechanger. Understanding that a healthy diet is balanced and varied, that there are no right and wrong foods, that I can eat anything in moderation, and that eating in moderation is attainable when I don't feel scared and helpless and entitled, turned the whole business of eating healthily and managing weight, upside down.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I lost 120+ at the beginning I went to a medical weight loss program that had dieticians and nurses and doctors to help with classes on nutrition etc. But they put me on a 1500 calorie diet started out at 389lbs and am male just for context. But for exercise all I did was walk the neighborhood could only really do a block for first few weeks but would add going 1 house farther every day or so and then became easier and normal. One nice thing when have that much to lose weight will come off real fast at first just by doing little things like walking. But best thing I ever did is went to a class at the grocery store on how to read food labels and understand what exactly I'm eating and just because it says healthy or low whatever on the package to understand portion size.

My advice is to look for a dietician or other program your insurance might pay for it all but one other word of advise look for small goal your goal can't be lose 200 lbs it is too much to wrap your head around and that is at best 1-2 years of work but say 5lbs lost in 2 weeks maybe at the beginning that can be done in 1 week but break it down by mini goals. Don't get frustrated too much it is a up and down ride we aren't perfect and weight doesn't solely define anyone it is just a number.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My other thought is until you can answer honestly why you want to lose the weight which can be anything you want even if just to look better in your eyes, life better longer etc. You must be honest with your inner voice this was key to me I can eat 1 oreo cookie a day and not affect my progress but I won't/can't only eat 1 a day if it is in the house so it never comes into the house. We all lie to ourselves which is pretty funny in a way "I am healthy fat", "I'm big boned", "I will only eat 1 cookie from the package" be honest with yourself and you will be fine. But answer the why question first the the how is easy eat less calories do more exercise but when you fall down have a bad day or week the "why" picks you back up and you can start again everyday is a new slate.
  • GW4321
    GW4321 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I lost 125lbs. My diet probably wasn’t the healthiest way, but it worked and made me healthier in the end. I still ate foods that I enjoyed, but I counted calories and made sure to stay in a deficit. I probably ate a greater volume of food during my diet than I ever did when I was 300+ lbs.

I started by identifying the biggest factor. It was clear that I was drinking way too many calories (soda, sweet tea, espresso drinks). I went from drinking 800-1000 calories per day to allowing myself “only” 150 calories. That obviously made a huge difference.

My next step was eliminating most of the unnecessary calories. For example, I realized it was unnecessary for me to put cheese and mayo on a sandwich. That adds a lot of extra calories that won’t help me stay full. I also made better choices. Just simple changes like… grilled is a better option than fried. A side salad is usually better than French fries.

My daily goal was 30 minutes of exercise. That was usually lifting weights or just walking. Just remember that exercise is not the most important aspect of weight loss.

I’ve gained back 20lbs in the past 1.5 years. I now lift weights 5-6 days per week, so a good portion of that weight gain is muscle. I’m currently trying to get motivated to lose weight again to complete my transformation.

Best of luck to you.
  • I_Am_in_Here_Somewhere
    Options
    Wow, you guys, there is a lot of really helpful insight and info here. Thank you all. This will help me a lot, I think.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I started off at 485 lbs and have lost 195 lbs in 15-ish months. I started off very slow and gradual. I set my weight loss goal to only 2 lbs per week which, at that weight, allowed me to still eat over 2800 calories a day. I don't follow any particular diet I just started incorporating a lot more vegetables into my diet. Over time as the weight started to come off, my calorie goal went down and I slowly made my diet more strict, such as reducing bread and grains and sticking to high fiber items only, sticking to mainly lean meats like chicken and seafood, and .

I also started incorporating exercise very slowly. The first two weeks I only went to the gym 3 times and only lifted weights for 5 minutes before leaving. The next week I made it 10 minutes. Two weeks later I made it 15 minutes. The next week I added 5 minutes of running and started going 3 times a week. And so on. Now I go 5-6 times a week, run for 45 minutes and lift weights for another 10-30 minutes depending on how much energy I have left.

The slow and steady wins the race method worked really well for me because the changes happened more organically over time rather than diving full steam ahead into some radical changes that aren't sustainable. The changes were small enough over time that they were very easy to adapt to, and I still make sure to "cheat" several times a week so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.

Hope that helps. And good luck! You can do it. I've been morbidly obese my entire adult life and thought I was going to die by the age of 40. Making small changes over time and not trying to force myself into a drastic lifestyle change is the first time in 37 years I've been able to successfully make a real lasting lifestyle change.

All of this! Fantastic achievement and fantastic advice. Please see your weight loss as changing the way you do things to facilitate a healthy lifestyle - no fixed term drastic action and no aggressive 'dieting'. That way you will give yourself time to learn new and better eating/activity habits that stay with you when you have achieved a weight you find acceptable.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    look in the success form. lots of good stories, and mine is in there somewhere, too.