Pregnant and trying not to gain to much weight.

Hello all!

I am 24 weeks pregnant and was overweight to start. My OB suggested I gain as little weight as possible but I am finding it really hard with cravings. I have been consistently tracking for a few days now and the scale still went up. I am hoping it is just water weight since I had some high sodium items yesterday. Does anyone have any pregnancy groups to follow or advice on how many calories to stay within while pregnant? I am 35 years old, 5'4", starting weight 180 & current weight was 197. I wanted to below 200 for my pregnancy but now I am afraid that won't happen. I am a stay at home mom with a 2-year-old, and I go for walks about 3-4 days a week depending on the weather. I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Couldn't you ask what she meant by "gain as little weight as possible"? It sounds to me that the real problem is with the cravings, and being insecure is a typical trigger for cravings.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    My sister experienced a net loss during all her pregnancies. She also had the pregnancy type of diabetes. Anyhow, the diabetic eating plan (she had no choice but to stick to the plan) helped her lose weight during pregnancy. Note I talk about net loss. She'd still gain during pregnancy; she's building a baby after all; but after delivery she weighed less than when she started.

The diabetic eating plan includes eating on a schedule including snacks, and including all the food groups in proportion at every meal. Lots of fruits and vegetables.

If you have a specific craving I suggest it is easier to satisfy it (within reason) than to eat a dozen other foods trying to avoid it.
  • JaeckelSykoraNC
    JaeckelSykoraNC Posts: 4 Member
    I think it was something like 15-20 lbs, I can't remember exactly what she said.