Care To Weigh-In On This Topic?

Options
For consistency's sake, I was originally only going to weigh myself at around the same time in the same location. For me, the "official" number would have been in the afternoon on a Tuesday when I am at my doctor's office. But those visits are 6 weeks apart (or longer). And I feel like I'm losing weight, yet me not recording it isn't doing me justice (in my opinion).

A friend of mine loaned me a scale some time ago. It seems to have a margin of error of about 5 pounds (in my favor) but I can't confirm it. (Perhaps I should bring it with me the next time I go to the doctor to compare...LOL).

Anyway, the same friend suggested I weigh myself in the morning, before eating, sans clothes, to get the "most accurate" (my words) picture of my weight: No food in the stomach (or anywhere else...), no clothes on the body, nothing to "weigh me down".

The more I thought about it, the more it made sense, especially since I hit the treadmill most mornings. If I weigh myself before I go work out, it would give me a "snapshot" of where I am, and I can enter that number in the program to possibly get a more accurate result of calories burned.

Your thoughts? Oh and feel free to add me if you like :)

Replies

• nmalany
    nmalany Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree, in the morning is the only time I weigh myself. Once you start eating and drinking for the day your weight will vary more. Don't worry about the scale being off as long as you use only that scale, just pay attention to the change in weight! Good luck :)
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    I did the same search on Google and most topics concur you should weigh yourself first thing in the morning before eating, drinking or working out.

Good luck!
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Food and water and clothes all those factors will change your weight. The best time is to weigh yourself in the morning, before a shower, after going to the bathroom, before eating, naked :)
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning once a week. I don't do it naked but I make sure to wear exactly the same clothes each time so that doesn't affect whether or not I've lost. I also use the same scales each time and always in the same place coz every scale is different and I've found that even the same one can vary depending on where you use it.

I don't think I could stay on track for 6 weeks without a weigh in.
  • Ichbinceiling
    Options
    I'd recommend weighing yourself as soon as you get up in the morning, after your morning bathroom visit. Thats what I do and it seems to work for me. I weigh myself every Tuesday morning, to be consistant, but you can pick your own day.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    If you have hand weights or something of a known weight you can use that to help calibrate the scale.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    yep weigh yourself in the morning before you eat or drink :) (aim for the same time if possible) personaly I have small kids in the house so I tend to still wear my cami and underwear while I weigh in.

as for the scale place some 5pound hand weights on it and see if it gives you an accurate reading ( since they are a fixed weight and about the length of a foot they should wook well for testing the scale out)
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the general consensus is to weigh in first thing in the morning, in the buff, after evacuation... (Austin Powers reference)

Thanks to all!
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I weigh at work so I weigh the same time each monday morning give or take 30 minutes. I weigh with the same clothes on and have had the same breakfast. consistency is the key so as long as you weigh with all things equivalent it will b3e a true reflection of weight loss. I chose these scales as they are never moved and are good quality scales. my bathroom ones are a bit dodgy lol