Really achy feet and calves

Options
LondonSummer2018
LondonSummer2018 Posts: 20 Member
edited July 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi

I’m currently experiencing really achy feet and calves, to the extent I’m uncomfortable a fair bit of the time and my boyfriends getting fed up of me whinging!

My current routine is

Bikram once a week

Strength training twice a week with a PT ; leg day 1/7 I squat about 45kg at present and slightly lighter on other moves; and upper body on second day 1/7. I stretch after both

I walk quite a lot for work but wear trainers; I don’t really ever wear heels now in part due to this.

My bmi is in the healthy range.

Weirdly it gets worst at the time of the month too and can even keep me awake in bed.

Anyone experience this too and found any thing that helps?

Thank you xx

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,915 Member
    Options
    Weirdly it gets worst at the time of the month too and can even keep me awake in bed.

My feet cramp more frequently then, is that what you mean?

Otherwise, what's your hydration and electrolyte intake like?

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Need new shoes?
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi

I’m currently experiencing really achy feet and calves, to the extent I’m uncomfortable a fair bit of the time and my boyfriends getting fed up of me whinging!

My current routine is

Bikram once a week

Strength training twice a week with a PT ; leg day 1/7 I squat about 45kg at present and slightly lighter on other moves; and upper body on second day 1/7. I stretch after both

I walk quite a lot for work but wear trainers; I don’t really ever wear heels now in part due to this.

Thank you xx

When I had a job that required a lot of walking my feet were in a considerable amount of pain. It would come and go though and had to try a few shoes to get the right ones.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Hi

My current routine is

Bikram once a week

Thank you xx
    How long has this been going on? Given that it can get bad enough to keep you awake at night then I think it's time to see your doctor and get an actual diagnosis.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Hi

My current routine is

Bikram once a week

Thank you xx
    How long has this been going on? Given that it can get bad enough to keep you awake at night then I think it's time to see your doctor and get an actual diagnosis.

Agreed
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Agreed with others, might be time to get an actual diagnosis from a live doctor. For help with the symptoms, I’ve found rolling a golf ball under my feet and using a foam roller on my legs and calves to be helpful.
  • dodo0808
    dodo0808 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had pain in my feet for 3 years (mainly on tops and side). I work on my feet and it got so bad in the last few months, that walking was painful and was waking in the night with pain.

I have seen several doctors and podiatrists over the last 3 years. I finally insisted on an MRI in the last few months as i was convinced it was nerve related. Was told by doctors that it was not possible for a nerve to only cause pain in my feet.

I have now had my MRI, which has confirmed nerve impingement.

I would suggest seeing your doctor and start the usual process of elimination, shoes/inserts, stretching, x-ray etc.

Hope you get some relief soon.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor.

I have a slightly high arch that causes supination/under pronation. turns out it is hereditary as my dad has the same issue. It caused chronic inflammation of my peroneal tendons. I suffered for years thinking it was crap shoes or too much time on my feet and tried to fix myself. Turns out the biggest fix was shoes, but I didn't know what to get.
  • LondonSummer2018
    LondonSummer2018 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your ideas and sharing your experiences

it’s been going on for a year or so occasionally but has got much more frequent over last 6 months.

I’ll book an appointment with my gp; I’m just worried about being dismissed or being told I’m making a fuss or that it’s normal if I go to the gym/lift .

Yes my whole legs and feet hurt more during my period; I’ve read this is to do with certain hormonal changes (? Procylogladins I think) but knowing that doesn’t help fix the symptoms and it’s not just this time of the month it hurts.

My shoes are good quality trainers so shouldn’t be the issue.

I’ve got a podiatrist appointment booked for insole in my right foot as I have a bunion that’s adding to it but my left leg is just as sore and the joints on that one are fine. I’ll ask her more too.

I’m off to buy a golf ball and a foam roller.

Xx
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options

Sounds like tight calves, especially if wearing heels made it worse. Try these 2 stretches a few times a day for 30+ seconds.

Feet:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=HEintoiiqSg
    Calves:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=CkgkmbXz8Mo

Most athletic shoes have a raised heel, which is fine for running, but it's inappropriate for walking, causing tightening of the calves, as well as worsening bunions, since more weight is on the forefoot. Switch to "zero drop" shoes, such a skateboard shoes, Vans, Altra, Keds, etc. :+1:
  • aflotwin
    aflotwin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stretch the major muscle groups of the legs at least once a day after exercise. Hold for at least 30 secs per stretch. Also try foam rolling, it helps to decrease DOMS and loosens up the muscle. Stay away from ice for soreness as it impairs the body’s natural healing response. Compression pants help as well. Make sure you are getting adequate protein. Another overlooked thing is potassium.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'd see a doctor first. It could be due to any number of things but when I had similar symptoms it turned out to be anaemia. Not saying that's what is causing your issues but always good to check