Running a bulk cycle for glutes only?

What do you do if you only want to grow glutes? If every other muscle group stayed the same size I'd be ok with that. Do I run a bulk or recomp?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Do you want to put on fat, or just try to grow a butt?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I was thinking about this the other day (as you probably know since I kind of mentioned it).

If you ran a bulk only trying to grow the glutes, my concern would be it could become not as optimal since you would only be stimulating one (set) of muscles to grow. You would find you would gain much more fat vs muscle due to that lack of stimulation. I mean, also it would kind of be impossible to stimulate only the glutes, even hip thrusts have some quad involvement.

On the other hand you could run a bulk with glute focus (which is what I typically do), and on those muscles you really don't want to grow, you either don't work them (I'm looking at you calves!) or you can still work them just don't employ progressive overload, as much. My upper body is fairly small compared to my lower, I don't progress as much and I just don't focus on it. Now what you may find is even though you are trying to grow the glutes, those lower body movements which are great to grow them will also stimulate the rest of your legs to grow a bit.

In terms of recomp, again, for the muscles you want to stay the same, I would do the exercises to keep the muscle but not really progress on them so they don't grow while you maintain. However, growing the glutes would be fairly slow going, but possible I'd imagine.

What you do depends on your goals and how comfortable you are at the end of the day.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Ok I should have thought my question out a bit better. I would like to keep quad growth minimal, but I don't mind growth in hamstrings. I would like to keep upper body muscle the same... wouldn't MIND a little more size in my pecs or back, but not probably going to really focus on it.

I know I'd gain fat in a bulk, but I've lost fat before. I wouldn't mind gaining a bit in a bulk if it meant growing my butt and hopefully increasing my RMR. (wishful thinking?)

My plan would be to keep doing full body workouts, like the workouts in strong curves. I would substitute more glute-focused movements like bridges, conv deadlifts, kettlebell swings, and band work for the exercises that involve more quad stimulation. I don't mind slightly bigger quads, if I could just grow my glutes MORE than my quads I'd be okay with that.

I guess my biggest concern about recomp is, are those calories enough to grow a big group of muscles like the glutes?

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Ok now that I have a better understanding, I would consider a lean/slow bulk (so 1-1.5lb per month gain). That will be just a hair above maintenance and will allow for adequate growth without too much fat gain.
  • EmbeeKay
    edited July 2018
    I

I probably wasn't clear enough in my original question. I know exercising one muscle group only could lead to physical imbalances. Obviously I don't want that. But I do know that in the bodybuilding world, it's not uncommon to hear "I'd like bigger delts" or "I need more size in a particular area." A bikini competitor I follow was told by the judges at her last competition that she needed fuller glutes for next season. So that's where I'm coming from.

I have lots of goals in the gym, strength-related. I'd like to increase my pull-ups, increase my bench, increase stamina, be able to do a handstand. I will stick with full-body workouts- I just want to grow the glutes more than, say, my biceps, quads (as little as possible anyway), or traps. They're big enough for me. :)

Stil, I love a good set of squats, so my quads will probably like them too.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    I
    Work your glutes.....don’t work anything else...??
    This question is stupid, I’m sorry, I understand you want to just grow glutes but overall progression in body composition would be better

I probably wasn't clear enough in my original question. I know exercising one muscle group only could lead to physical imbalances. Obviously I don't want that. But I do know that in the bodybuilding world, it's not uncommon to hear "I'd like bigger delts" or "I need more size in a particular area." A bikini competitor I follow was told by the judges at her last competition that she needed fuller glutes for next season. So that's where I'm coming from.

I have lots of goals in the gym, strength-related. I'd like to increase my pull-ups, increase my bench, increase stamina, be able to do a handstand. I will stick with full-body workouts- I just want to grow the glutes more than, say, my biceps, quads (as little as possible anyway), or traps. They're big enough for me. :)

Girls I know in the same position often train like normal but add extra workouts each week for the target area.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    In addition to conv Deadlifts, check out Romanian Dead Lifts's I find those to really hit the glutes. Also laying down or standing leg curls and glute ham raises hit the glutes pretty hard. Sounds like you already know what you're doing. Just thought I'd throw a couple of other ideas out there.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2018
    Just came out with the Glutes hypertrophy guide:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEDgE6Wh1U0[youtube/]
    He does a fantastic job explaining overlap with various conventional leg training lifts (hardly any isolation leg movements, how to factor squats, DLs, etc. into the equation)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    He does a fantastic job explaining overlap with various conventional leg training lifts (hardly any isolation leg movements, how to factor squats, DLs, etc. into the equation)

You and Dr. Mike! HA! Ain't nothing wrong with that at all. He is one smart cookie! Has an odd sense of humor, but then again so do I. :-)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    I

I LOVE THIS! I think that it is awesome when women want to get stronger....I wish you all the best fortune in your journey to getting stronger.

Now, for glutes, I find that NOTHING beats hip thrusters. Sure, super awkward! Crappola! I know all about that! I am the only guy in the gym doing them....don't care one bit what others think! LOL! But they are likely the single best exercise for glutes (now, I am usually very careful about saying "XYZ is the BEST for <insertmusclehere>, so clearly my comment is very general in nature and may or may not apply to you....but, I think that most would agree that - generally speaking - hip thrusters are tough to beat - generally speaking.....Did I throw in enough "generally speaking" ?).

Deadlifts will help, both conventional and sumo (now, I have NEVER done sumo...) as will Romanian Dead Lifts. Squats, naturally! Butt (ha, see how I did that?) if you are quad-dominate when doing squats maybe not so much....Glute Ham Raises are AWESOME, too!

Another thing to consider is Bulgarian Split Squats. If you put your front foot closer to the bench then it is more quad-focused *BUT* if you place your front foot farther from the bench then your hammies and glutes are more engaged. It has been a good while since I have done those....I remember that burn, though!

And, I do not know why I am rambling on.....you have a video from Dr. Mike to explain all this....

Either way, all the best fortune to you!
  • EmbeeKay

Thank you! Can't wait to check this out! Everyone has given me some great tips, thank you guys so much. Had a good soul searching moment (haha) and I've decided I'd like to see some growth in a couple other areas as well as the glutes, so I will be running a long SLOW bulk this winter for all of that. Thanks again everyone! This community is fantastic.