Any tips on how to stop binge/emotional eating?

Options
I’m a serial starter here on MFP... I’ve had success in the past (lost nearly 30 lbs at one point) but then, of course life happened. I went through some scenarios in life that really hurt me... and emotionally and spiritually I was a wreck. I ended up gaining the 30 lbs I lost plus and extra 50 due to my emotional eating. Food became my crutch; I would just eat all the junk food I could get my hands on. Even when the pounds started piling on, I just felt so upset with myself that I simply continued eating in response to the feelings of despair I felt. I so want to get out of this hole I’m in, but every time I start to lose a little bit of weight, I’d just fall back into old habits. Is there anyone else who went through something similar and overcame it? Id appreciate any tips you an give me! Thanks in advance 🙂

Replies

• ecoughlin2014
    ecoughlin2014 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with emotional eating in the past and only recently have I discovered that having control over my health is more important to me now than having control over what I put in my mouth. I guess you have to reach the point where the pain from emotional eating (gaining weight, poor health) is greater than the pain (sadness, depression, anxiety, boredom, etc) that makes you eat emotionally. Usually the thing that causes the most pain is the thing that causes change. Does that make sense? Emotional eating is my biggest obstacle to losing weight and I am just starting my weight loss program here on MFP so I can't claim any great success yet. Hope the little bit of light I have on this will help.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Therapy has been the key to my weight loss. I worked specifically with a therapist that had experience with eating disorders. Getting help understanding my feelings, feeling them and finding other coping mechanisms (than food) has been a big help. I don't binge/emotionally eat like I used to and I don't miss it. I've found a way to process my emotions without the aid of food as a crutch. It's been painful and difficult sometimes but having my mental, physical and spiritual health is priceless. I wish you the best.