Bore on the elliptical trainer

Options
I was doing half an hour on the elliptical trainer but lately have gotten too bored to stand the whole half an hour...physically I can do it I just get bored...Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    book? ipod? tv in view?

learn a language on an mp3 player as you train? (actually I might use that one myself....!)

edit: or try switching to another machine sometimes, alternate your training up, go for a walk one day instead, or just vary the programme on the machine itself, do some hill training in it or something
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    I find the same. I think out of all exercise it is the most soul destroying! Do you use an ipod? I find I can only stand it when I have updated my ipod with some new tunes each week, then I drift off into my own little world :)

If that doesn't work for you maybe try mixing it up a bit? maybe add some running, swimming or even an exercise dvd/class?
  • erqueenie
    erqueenie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I certainly understand. Even with tv/music etc I just can't stand it anymore. I've switched to Zumba and interval treadmill workouts. Try switching it up, it keeps your body guessing.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    I absolutely cannot read a book and work out. New music, dance a little bit or just mix it up. You do not have to do the same workout for the 30 min, stairstep, bike, walk (i love walking cause i can dance and walk, but i do get weird looks at the gym), mix it up or maybe join a fitness class to mix it up. I love powerlifting class.
  • tkopps
    tkopps Posts: 341
    Options
    I like to link the elliptical trainer to a show that I want to watch. Without commercials on DVD an hour show is usually about 42 minutes. It makes the time fly. I also switch the direction every 5 mintues.
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas..yeah I couldn't survive without my iphone/ipod lol..I may need to update my workout playlist a bit...learning a language is a great idea..I could probably do that on my iphone..I should ask for a kindle for my birthday lol....I do interval training on the treadmill and walk as well its just the elliptical im having trouble focusing on for half an hour..Thanks!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    agreed, it's really boring. I try to mix it up w/music. Or I download or stream podcasts about food or music and listen to them. Or if you are doing a longer workout you could stream something from netflix.

is your workout on the elliptical challenging enough? I find by upping the intensity of the workout that helps my mind stay occupied too. If it were just at once level of intensity throughout, that is super-redundant and tends to drag.

You could also just do it for 20 minutes or so, and then take it outside for the rest of the time. Sometimes I'll do that--just going up and down the hill on my long driveway, sometimes at a walk, a jog, a little faster, can burn the same amount of calories. Or, I bought a jump rope and might do that outside for 10 minutes.

good luck!
  • Bucky2BeBetty
    Bucky2BeBetty Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Music makes a lot of difference. I got bored with my iPod and started using Pandora on my phone. Lots more options and few repeats.

Also, a tablet that lets you stream movies is awesome. Netflix can be a life saver!
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Change the way you exercise on it. I have three types of workouts on the elliptical.

1) Going at a constant level for however long (normally 30 - 45 min) ... yes gets boring.

2) Interval training, Warm up to 1 min then go really fast for 20 seconds, then slow down for 10 seconds. Repeat the 20 seconds / 10 seconds for 10 to 15 minutes. You get the same effort as a 30 - 45 min workout and are too busy looking at the clock to get bored.

3) Work levels of intensity (what I am doing now for 12 weeks).
    Start on setting 10 for 2 min
    increase setting to 12 for 1 min
    increase setting to 14 for 1 min
    increase setting to 16 for 1 min
    increase setting to 18 for 1 min
    Repeat setting 12 to 18 for 1 min another 3 times
    Then setting 20 for 1 min
    then cool down on setting 10 for 1 min

20 min in total. Watching the time it really flies and is better than a 30 min constant rate.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Audiobooks.
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have mine in the same room as a TV so I watch that. used to watch Biggest loser while exercising