eating disorder treatment

Options
just recently i’ve been diagnosed with disordered eating, and the doctor i saw is now referring me to an eating disorder clinic to meet with a gynecologist, psychiatrist, and dietitian. has anyone had experience with this? what can i expect?

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    If I may be so bold....what does a gyno have to do with eating disorders?
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »

My guess would be that some eating disorders can disrupt normal ovulation and cease menstruation, they probably want to rule out other causes and make sure everything else is ok and get her cycle back to normal if there’s a problem.
  • emilyhultin
    emilyhultin Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »

the doctor said i have the “female athlete triad” so he’s covering all three bases of that. disordered eating is only 1/3 of my problem.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Yes I have and quite a few others on here. Most therapists will use CBT for eating disorders. You might get prescription depending upon diagnosis. You might be encouraged to not weigh yourself, not count calories, cut back a little on exercise, avoid media that advertises diets, thin fitness models, and that might label foods as good or bad or whatever. There are some good books out there you can quickly download on Amazon. If you are restricting and binging - Alison Kerr - The Binge Code might be helpful.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Expect to be asked a ton of questions...and expect to be uncomfortable answering them truthfully. Try though, even though it may be anxiety provoking.

Let them into your head a little, and don't feel 'bad' or 'guilty' about anything that you answer. Try to focus yourself into a mindset that you are probably not used to (give up a little control).

It sounds like this is your first step for treatment, and that will be very overwhelming for you. Remember that your health in the long run is more important than whatever s** you may be dealing with internally. Try to embrace that.

Know that you are not alone, and although the process is pretty painful mentally, you will come out of it stronger. It will most likely always be a struggle for you, but it will get better, I promise!

[Me: 8 years post- treatment for 20 years anorexia/bulimia.]