Post Gastric Bypass?

Options
Is anyone post-gastric bypass and trying to lose weight?

Replies

• cjgriess
    Options
    Yeppers! 6 1/2 years out and struggling to lose recent regain....so frustrating!
  • kldian
    kldian Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, I am 6 years out, and have not lost all the weight that I would like. Also, I have put on about 20lbs, I feel somewhat discouraged because I had the bypass to help lose weight. Now I feel because I could lose before surgery, I will not lose now and continue to gain.
  • schlabetsy
    Options
    I'm sorry it's been frustrating for you. Do you have any tips on how to get back on track? Are you taking vitamin suppliments, I know that's absolutely necessary and might help the body move from starvation mode (where it hoards calories) to burn mode.
  • cjgriess
    Options
    I take a full regime of vitamins, but that doesn't assist with weight loss or maintenance. As for getting back on track...for me it's completely a head issue. I rarely experience hunger so clearly my weight gain is a result of bad choices. I don't necessarily eat horrible foods like I did before the surgery - my palate has completely changed and I eat mostly good foods. But the reality is I'm consuming too many calories. So, I have to work on my head...and exercise!
  • LadyKatarina
    LadyKatarina Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a 10 year post op. I've regained/lost/regained some of the last 35/40 lbs from my lowest weight, but overall, I've kept at least 150 lbs off. I'm currently up about 35 from my lowest post surgery weight, and I'm annoyed, and working to get back on track. I'm well past the time when my gastric bypass helps with weight loss as I can eat normal portions, and drink as much as I want (which is too much, for the sake of calories)...so losing weight at this point is no different than any other dieter.

I guess I can't complain too much, as on average I've heard most gastric bypass patients at 5 years have only kept about 60% of their lost weight off. I have kept about 80% of my weight loss, for 10 years.

So, time to get back on track and return to the good fight.

~Kat
  • erqueenie
    erqueenie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 14 months post op and would like to lose another 20 (247 then 178 now) not that I'm complaining. I DO get hungry even though I get in between 80-100 gms of protein most days. I've recently started Zumba and what a great workout but it's only offered once a week. I do the treadmill on the off days. Any tips for more weight lose? My calorie intake is approx 1240 calories daily.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    I am 5 years out and have currently maintained my lowest weight after surgery, but I am here on mfp to try to lose some additional weight as I never go down to my personal "goal weight" post-op. Head hunger is the devil :)
  • beazelsmom
    Options
    I have had my surgery a roux n y, or however that goes lol, on jan 25th of 2011. So far I have lost 94lbs/95lbs. I am platueaing, but i need to loose another 50lbs. Any suggestions on how to actually get in my calorie intake for the day so i can loose weight. I have started working out almost everyday, when my 5 yr old lets me, and except the weekends cause then i have stuff to do with my mom or my husband. Any suppliments i should be taking besides protein, multi vit, and a b vit?
  • ilaurya
    ilaurya Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm 4.5 years out and hovering around my lowest post-surgery weight (gained back around 25 lbs but lost 'em since May, thankfully.) Now, one thing to keep in mind is that we have to deal with lingering malabsorption, which can throw us into the danger zone of having our calorie intake be too low. I actually had my hubby use his math skills to make me an absorption calculator (I had a DS, so malabsorption is a bigger deal than with RNY, but I know RNY has some too.) My process is this: 1. Enter everything I eat into Fitday. 2. Enter the calories from fat, calories from carbs, and calories from protein through my DS absorption calculator, and get the number for the total calories absorbed. (My body currently absorbs 40% of the fat I consume, pretty much 100% of carbs, and 60% of protein.) 3. Enter my total calories absorbed into My Fitness Pal using the quick entry tool. That's how I track my REAL intake.

Exercise I just enter straight into MFP.

So yeah, be on the lookout for complications from absorbing too little. If you find yourself plateauing, feeling fatigued, no energy, ravenous cravings, it might be that.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am 18 years post op. Had mine in September 1994. I went from 330 down to 112 lbs. Surgeon wanted me to weigh 160 and as you know you loose more than you are supposed to at first. He said I would. Then, my weight finally came back to 160 and I stayed there all this time till last year. January 28th a year ago I shattered my right wrist and was put on medication for nerve damage. I ate like there was no tomorrow. Couldn't get filled up. I gained 35 lbs and got to 195. Finally, in January this year I decided enough was enough. I began dieting on January 5th and worked at cutting carbohydrates, actually was in ketosis for over a week and then had to go take care of my daughter who had her GB on Feb 20th. From Jan 5th to Feb 20th, I lost 3 lbs. Not great at all. I decided to give it a break since it is so hard to actually diet at someone elses house. When I got home March 12th I found this web site. I started counting calories and have lost another three calories since then. This weight is so stubborn, I can't figure out why I'm not loosing any faster than this. I prefer the carbohydrate diet so I went back to it today. I think between counting carbs, which I really like and this site, I should be able to do it. I also increased my exercises. I'm 63 years old. Help!
  • mrswoc
    mrswoc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 10 years post bypass and lost 160lbs despite life threatening complications. Unfortunately, because I was never prepared for life after bypass, I regained 120 lbs over the past 7 years and I am on working on losing weight again. I know my bypass is still intact due to having an upper GI about 3 weeks ago. I have to lose 50 more lbs before I can have a much needed surgery. This has been a great help (MFP). I am also very blessed to have a great friend who is helping me workout and change my eating habits. I do not say I am a on a 'diet' because I am learning to change my eating lifestyle. Something I should have learned 10 years ago, but did not.

I started this journey back in Oct 2011 doing diet only and lost 10 lbs from Oct to Jan 1. On Jan 2nd I started a 5 day a week workout regime and now I am down 32 lbs. As I said before I need to lose 50 more pounds for surgery, and during the surgery they will remove at least 25 to 30 lbs of loose skin. At that point I will be back to where I was at my lowest weight post surgery. I want to lose another 50 to 75 lbs after that to get to what should be a 'healthy' weight for me. I wish you the best of luck on your journey as well as everyone else who is doing this to make themselves healthier!
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. I always said they fix your stomach not your head. I'm trying to get my head fixed again too. Luckily I was able to keep the weight off all that time till last year. But this 30 lbs has got to go. I love this site.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • bsirvin
    bsirvin Posts: 1
    Options
    me too! I feel that it is head hunger, definitely not stomach hunger. I am just starting this today. I went to the nutritionist yesterday because I needed to get back on track and combine gastric bypass, diverticulitis, and hypoglycemia. She gave me guidelines, but now I am a little confused. Guess I just have to jump in and give it a try.
  • jojobee3
    Options
    I had my GB in 2003, after I had my third son. I lost 150 lbs and have gained almost all of that back. I had my fourth son about 2.5 years after I had the surgery which did not help. I was searching around on the web for advice on how to get back on track as well and stumbled across this article, not sure if it will help anyone, but I am going to try it, starting in the morning.
    Is there a support group here for those having had GP? I think it would be nice to have some support as I learn the things I didn't learn after I had my surgery and do these things, as well. Thank you.