Tips for leaner muscles?

Options
Hey guys! I recently got hired in a professional dance job. I’ve always been pretty active but now I’m trying to take my fitness a little bit more seriously and toying with protein powder and pre-work. I want to tone up more, but I want to avoid getting “bulky” for my job and get more long and lean dancer-like muscles. What kind of exercises should I be doing, and is there a certain kind of diet that would help too? Thankyou all for your advice and support!

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You can't change the length of your muscles and you're not going to get bulky by accident (people who want to build considerable size and bulk, train and eat for a long time specifically for this)

When you say leaner muscles, it sounds like you want more muscle definition? If this is the case, it's really just down to body fat % and the amount of muscle you have. You can lean out and your existing muscles will show more, or you could focus on building muscle/gaining weight with and they wouldn't show anymore, but then when you lose fat afterwards you'll have more muscle to show. It depends how much muscle you want, but reducing body fat is key to having the definition.

As has been mentioned, if you're now training like a dancer, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your body will adapt to the exercise and you will end up looking like a dancer, as you are one.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    If you want to be less "bulky," you need to be less fat.

Muscle is muscle...not lean or bulky muscle.