How to burn a few calories while extremely sore?

Options
Hi all,
I’ve been fit and strong in the past, but just started back after a long hiatus. For 5 days I’ve alternated walking (3-4 miles) with the strength workouts from one of Rachel Cosgrove’s strength training books. But those strength workouts kicked my atrophied butt! This morning, the only way I could crouch down to put away the pots and pans was to use the cabinet door to lower myself to a crouching position. But I’d really like to burn 100-200 calories today so I can enjoy dessert with my Sunday dinner and still net 1200 calories. Oh, and it’s pouring rain outside! Any ideas?

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    walking up and down stairs? :)
  • jgreeneyes23
    jgreeneyes23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat. Did a DDP yoga workout yesterday and it hurts to move. Lol. I think I might walk around the mall in the A/C. Slowly, but it’s something. 🙂
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk. That will help loosen your muscles and will burn some calories. A bike ride might also work, since it uses different muscles.
  • jgreeneyes23
    jgreeneyes23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can find free low impact workouts on YouTube
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason why you can't go out in the rain, just go for a walk.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You also might want to consider a rest day before your body forces you to
  • bostonjim23
    bostonjim23 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Exercise a different part of your body
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason why you can't go out in the rain, just go for a walk.

No medical reason, but it’s really pouring out there and i don’t want to have squishy shoes when I head to the weight room tomorrow morning. I think I’ll try to find something low-impact online... And modify if necessary.

I’ve considered the rest day, but I’ve prelogged my peach cobbler :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just take a rest day and enjoy my desert...you're only talking about 100-200 calories...you'd still be in a substantial deficit.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Personally, I'd just take a rest day and enjoy my desert...you're only talking about 100-200 calories...you'd still be in a substantial deficit.

This.

Go for a walk this week when the weather clears it will all even out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

No medical reason, but it’s really pouring out there and i don’t want to have squishy shoes when I head to the weight room tomorrow morning. I think I’ll try to find something low-impact online... And modify if necessary.

I’ve considered the rest day, but I’ve prelogged my peach cobbler :smile:

Maybe consider your calorie allowance on a weekly basis rather than daily to gain some flexibility?

If your body is saying "rest & recover" then you would do well to listen to it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Take a warm bath or shower, then stretch and do yoga. You'll have to do quite a lot of it to get 100-200 calories, but it should be good for you and burn a few calories.