On 1200 calories a day for over a month and I have not dropped a pound

Options
2»

Replies

• musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat unfortunately :(. Ive worked out and ate right and still cant really lose.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Mickey317 wrote: »
    How many calories should I eat a day or should it be different each day? I heard that eating a higher calorie day once in awhile is good. Thanks everyone.

You can put all your stats in to MFP, at 0.5 lb a week loss and see how many calories MFP gives you.

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat unfortunately :(. Ive worked out and ate right and still cant really lose.

Same advice would still apply. Log accurately, weigh your food, pick a reasonable loss, lower your expectations if you have a small amount of weight to lose. Be consistent. Don't undereat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    mnalsa83 wrote: »
    Everyone tells us that 1200 is the goal, honestly (just finished a nutrition course) 1200 is roughly what the body needs to just function daily. This can cause the body to hold onto the fat for later energy use when we do exercise.
    Also, we tend to not eat "properly". We restrict a lot of what our bodies need... healthy fats because weve been told fats are bad. Not enough protein (prime example in my own diet). And the wrong types of carbs. We consume a lot of fruit, which is high sugar (though natural) too much = bad.
    Take a look at your diet and see if any of these could be at fault. I honestly consume anywhere from 1200 (non gym days) to 2000+ and still am losing weight.

Which nutrition course did you do?

And can she get her money back?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Same advice would still apply. Log accurately, weigh your food, pick a reasonable loss, lower your expectations if you have a small amount of weight to lose. Be consistent. Don't undereat.
    How many calories should I eat a day or should it be different each day? I heard that eating a higher calorie day once in awhile is good. Thanks everyone.

Weight loss is eating fewer calories than your maintenance calories ....PERIOD. Look up your TDEE ( total daily energy expenditure): http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    This number is an estimation of maintenance calories, including exercise.

If you are at least 15 pounds overweight, you can likely subtract 500 calories to lose 1 pound a week (and still get enough calories for adequate nutrition). If you are closer to goal, very petite, very inactive.....you may need to settle for less weekly weight loss. 1200 calories is the "basement."

Protein, carbs, and fat are macros. These aren't about weight loss, they are about nutritional goals, satiety, or fitness goals. Pick what works for you.

When we are close to goal measuring intake accurately is very important. A digital food scale is going to be more accurate than measuring cups & spoons.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I do weigh my food and log all that I eat. I was on weight watchers for years so in the habit of weighing etc. I seem to be seeing results now. I guess it just took my body a little longer then normal to start loosing. Thanks everyone.
    Glad you’re starting to see results! When I started, it was a good 3 weeks before the scale started moving. Luckily I did sense my clothes hanging a bit better before that so I figured “something” was happening.
  • jackimartin1973
    jackimartin1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat- an entire month and no results! Frustrating for sure! I think my body was in shock. Stick with it! I am now seeing the needle move and now have lost 5lbs. My husband reminded me that it’s about taking good care of yourself, not just weight loss and that kept me going.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,761 Member
    Options
    I’m doing 1200 a day as well and found some days and even weeks I wasn’t losing. Looking back though I’ve lost almost 20 pounds since March and I’ve had s few weeks of not being consistent enough in my intake. I have also lost a lot of inches that I didn’t think was happening. Turns out I needed patience lol
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I do weigh my food and log all that I eat. I was on weight watchers for years so in the habit of weighing etc. I seem to be seeing results now. I guess it just took my body a little longer then normal to start loosing. Thanks everyone.

It's a bumpy ride, hold on!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

My actual daily calorie consumption varies with how active I am.

I'm trying to keep to 1350 calories per day. However I also try to do 30 minutes or more deliberate exercise everyday.... so that bumps my calories up to approx 1500 per day. If for some reason I can't get a workout or bike ride in it's 1350 calories.

I try to watch my carbs and eat "healthy" foods but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a slice of pizza or a lite beer now and again.

When I was 288 lbs the weight came off pretty steady....lol.....at 173 lbs it's a lot slower but still trending downward. :)

• Mickey317
    Mickey317 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I excercise, I walk about 45 minutes about 3 or 4 times a week but I don’t log it. Happy that I am seeing some results finally.it really took my body awhile to kick in.
    Thanks for everyone’s help.
  • lalawaterlala
    lalawaterlala Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Are you counting Every. Single. Calorie. you put in your mouth? Drinks? Condiments? Measuring food and checking serving sizes? If you're doing all that and still not losing weight, check if you're retaining fluids. If you're not retaining fluids increase your exercise/movement throughout the day
  • mysterygal
    mysterygal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to be realistic about intake -- I don't fudge the amounts. I am also pretty realistic about exercise and try hard not to overestimate what I'm doing. But the weight is not budging and clothing is not fitting differently. Very frustrating.