Binge Eaters Unite - I need your help!

Options
So last night I came home from work @ 8:30pm and ate another meal. I wasn't that hungry but I did it anyways. I get so obsessed with the idea of it while at work that while I'm there I can't stop thinking about it, how good it will taste, etc. So by the time I walk through the door it's been rationalized and it's in my stomach and I've screwed myself out of hitting my calorie goal for the day! :frown:

Any tips? I didn't lose weight because of that this morning and I'm sick of feeling like a failure.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lipsticknlattes
    lipsticknlattes Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Before you take that first bite, remember how it made you feel the last time. Also, if you must have a late night snack, keep it light and healthy. Go for a little fruit or some sugar free jello. Always keep your goals in mind. We all fail and have to pick ourselves back up. Losing weight is not easy at all. Also, it doesn't make a huge difference what time of the day you eat. Save some calories for when you get home. It's all about calories in vs. calories out. Another last tip: If you start to get hungry, drink a cold glass of water and the pang will ease. Most people mistake thirst for hunger because they are dehydrated.
  • strawberryshortbread
    Options
    Hiya,

I'm the same! i work 65 miles away from home so when i leave the office all i can think about is food! And by the time i have battled my way through the traffic and the road works i'm ravenous!!! so while i'm making tea i'm snacking!! As soon as i walk through the door i go into major panic about getting tea on as i'm starving etc.

I've been working a few things out. I've tried to have something like a piece of fruit (mainly a banana they seem to cure my hunger more) before i leave work or have it in the car going home. Then when i get home instead of trying to focus how much can i binge on while i make tea. I make myself sit down and have a coffee and relax and with that coffee i save myself some calories for a small biscuit or something yummy but fairly low cal. I try to see it as a bit of me time where i can treat myself to a small treat and come down. Once i've had my coffee and small treat i manage to scrape through making dinner without eating anything else.

Might be worth a shot?
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I take a apple with me and then eat it on my way home so I don't eat as soon as I get in.
  • JasonsWeightliftingWife
    Options
    I am right there with you honey~

One thing that has been helping me is to eat more protein at my dinner meal. I feel it sustains me longer. I sometimes leave some calories to eat at night, because I know that I am trying to make small baby steps to my recovery. I have struggled with eating at night for many many years. I can easily abuse food to where I eat 1,000kal in one sitting! I try to stay away from high sugary foods, bread and cereal is really not good for me.

I have been making a huge sorbet/ice cream at night. It's 3 strawberries, one T of protein powder and TONS of ICE! I mix it in my Vita-mix and voila I have a HUGE ICE CREAM. It keeps me busy for a while and is very minimal in calories. I add some stevia too.

I have been telling myself that I can wait to eat in the morning and if I am still as hungry as I am now for whatever it is I am craving, I will have it in the morning, that way it is next day's calories. If I can do that, I feel refreshed and renewed and accomplished the next day. I know that it is going to take baby steps for me to learn something new, but I am willing to create the life I want.

I hope you find what you are searching for and hope you get the answers you need.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    If you figure this one out... LET ME KNOW!!!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Would it help to log your planned food on the day before? That way you can look forward to eating what you've already worked into your calorie allowance. For me, this strategy has worked well--even though I feel like I'm "giving in" to a craving, I'm actually just following the plan. Good luck--I can definitely relate to the situation you described!
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was a big binge eater. If I opened it I finished it, thank god there are no super sized meals over here.

It takes hard work. Three months to kick any habit according to the experts.

I use to avoid meals and then when I got home eat all night until I went to bed. Just so bad.

What I am currently doing is having 6 smaller meals a day (same calories spread out). Basically 1 fist size of carbs, 1 fist size of Protein each meal and in addition 1 fist of vegies, 2 fruit and 2 dairy a day. I found it hard to get any where near my calories when I started. Now I always feel full. Getting the size right is the hard bit ;)
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, had the T shirt. I use to mentally go through my cupboards planning what I could eat that would satify how I was feeling... somehow was never enough, and the beating yourself up afterwards so not worth the moment of pleasure... not to mention the weight and health issues it created. We put so much emotional feelings into our eating. Mindlessly eating to fill. Emotional eating needs to be worked on.

What I had to do is examine my behaviours, feelings, actions and figure a plan to put into action to make new habits and snuff out old ones. It is hard work, but worth it in the end Someone mentioned a piece of fruit... I'd be carefull of just having that. High sugar or just carbs can do the exact opposite of what we plan ...and that is to curb the appetite. protein, or fiber slows down the insulin spikes that creates that hunger... so choose wisely and healthy. Remember eating late in the evening is not a good thing either. If you get home late...plan that snack...plan all your meals etc... have a planned snack on your way home.." Fail to plan...plan to fail.".
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i have a huge problem with this...yesterday i ate a whole plastic thing of graham crackers in one sitting. talk about empty calories!! today is a a new day, and i am combating over eating using these easy steps:

1) plan your meals beforehand: that way, you wont be reaching in the cupboards after youre done eating a meal. i feel that i am less likely to binge if i have my meal written out already in front of me.
    2) eat sitting down and without distractions: this way, you wont be sitting in front of the tv mindlessly nomming on food. also, i find that if i eat standing up, i am less satisfied and i dont feel as full when i am done with my meal.
    3) put ALL the food you are going to eat on your plate before you eat it: this gives you a nice visual of ~okay, this is my whole meal right here in front of me, i am going to eat it and be satisfied afterwards. take some time after each meal to think about how satisfied you are!
    4) snacks are OK: if you find yourself hungry between meals, then EAT a healthy snack! fruits, veggies (apples are very filling for me) that way you wont overeat a ton on your next meal. BUT be aware of your hunger...is it actual hunger or just boredom/emotional hunger? its important to differentiate between the two!
    5) if you are going to binge and you cant control it, MAKE YOURSELF drink 2 glasses of water before you start eating: that way, you have plenty of time to think about whether or not you are really hungry (while filling up your stomach :wink: ). if you are still hungry after that, only eat veggies (they fill you up a lot more). AND if you are still hungry after that, (and you are way over your calories, its the end of the day so you cant work it off, etc) then go out for a walk, or do something else that occupies your mind. sometimes it is good to just physically get out of the kitchen.

hope this helps, love! i am going to train myself starting today to stop the binge-eating...its the only pitfall i have to staying actually healthy!!! :heart:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Would it help to log your planned food on the day before? That way you can look forward to eating what you've already worked into your calorie allowance. For me, this strategy has worked well--even though I feel like I'm "giving in" to a craving, I'm actually just following the plan. Good luck--I can definitely relate to the situation you described!

I was going to say just this. I'm much more likely to binge if I don't plan my day out in advance. Also I grab a book and go for a long soak in the bath. 9 times out of 10 I'm either too tired to be bothered to make anything by the time I get out or the urge has passed. x
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    Hi, I can't view your diet journal so I can't give you too much sound advice as to what is going on in your particular diet. Sounds like a protein/fiber problem. But it also can be that you're body isn't use to going a long period of time without eating something.

Try these tips,
    Eat fiber, which personally I eat a fiber one bar for a snack. Beans are also good as they contain high fiber and protein. Also, switch all of your breads to whole wheat/whole grain bread which has more fiber than white bread (I can get into the whole schismatic of why whole wheat/whole grains is better for you, but for this topic I'm going to assume you've heard this half a dozen times already else).

Protein, this is more tricky because a lot of people like to jump to protein bars. The prior post suggestion about the protein enrich sherbert isn't a bad idea. The problem with protein bars is most can contain up to 55% fat, which isn't great for you at all. I recommend adding more chicken into your diet. Toss some grilled chicken on a salad. For lunch, eat tuna fish salad on whole wheat bread (you're getting fiber and protein and a can of tuna (172g) has 41g of protein!).

Another idea is to have breakfast, then a snack in between breakfast and lunch, then lunch, then a snack in between lunch in dinner, or immediately when you get home, and then dinner.

Also, your body will send hunger signals to your brain when it is thirsty, so drink 8 cups of water a day (if sweating a lot during work out, then drink up to 10 cups of water a day). Good trick is to drink a cup before and after each meal.

Hope this helps! Good luck =)
  • tracy9301
    tracy9301 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would try a small cup of dry cereal or a piece of fruit on the drive home. Always log your food too, it helps. Depending on what time you get off work, have a buddy to call when those things hit.
  • gemmie_c
    gemmie_c Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I battle this everyday. Planning in advance helps. Not eating my trigger food helps. Not buying naughty food helps. Making my boyfriend count things like bisucuits and treats helps. I always binge when I am alone-never in the company of others. I always have treats at my desk but I know they are my other halfs and not mine. The fact that they are counted means I don't have the chance to eat them because someone will know my secret binge happened.

I don't think this will never not be a part of who I am-I just have to accept that there will always be this demon inside me that I will have to battle. When I do fight the urge, I always feel stronger, better, healthier.

Best of luck-you aren't alone hunny-there are plenty of us around. xx
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options

I find that planning my meals ends up counterproductive as I never want what I've planned when the time comes for I end up picking at it or eating a meal my body doesn't want and doesn't enjoy, leading me to want something afterwards. :S

However, batch cooking works wonders as I then have several home meals to hand in the freezer and can take my pick from.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My husband has this problem - I keep a basket of food stocked in his car. Mostly single serve bags that I have made of plan nuts for when he is hungry and trail mixes for when he craves something sweet. Also there are a few protein bars and some water bottles. It has helped a lot so he no longer enter the house ravenous.

As for binging in general - think of the way you feel right now next time you want to binge. It may help you fight the urge and slowly the binging will be less and less. Best of luck to you.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    The water idea is a great one. It'll stave off the urge to binge for a while at least. Hopefully long enough to reason with yourself or pick something healthy to eat!
  • prettylittlechubby
    Options
    I was the same last night, so while I was making the food i asked myself, am I really hungry or am I just thirsty or bored....and I realised in the space of time that I made the food that I wasn't actually hungry, made myself a cup of herbal tea and I went to bed a lot happier than I would have if I had had the meal....I will defo do this the next time I go to eat when I am not even hungry...x
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm new and probably have nothing to say worth hearing but i'm finding I have very little problem with bingeing this time around. Maybe cos I'm older than last time I tried to shift this weight?

Hmm. Well, I work out what I want for dinner, often the day before because I have to get the meat out of the freezer. If I'm hungry in the day I drink coffee. Okay not nutricious but it seems to work. I don't eat because I save my calories for this meal I have fantasised about, that is going to be fantastic... and I will want to be full at the end of it. full, replete, relaxed and happy.

Basically I save up in advance. I don't eat brekkie, I have lunch which is bulk - actually it's weetbix - and then you see I have about 700 cals for dinner. Im finding that's enough for a stir-fry and a pudding.

I truly think it's all about the pudding. If you can have a pudding, even if you're only having 2 oz of it, you don't feel robbed. Tonight it was apple crumble and icecream. last night it was icecream and butterscotch sauce. Tomorrow I think I might go for apple sponge pudding. Or maybe chocolate self saucy pud?

I don't have a ton of it. I just have a serve. I enter the recipe into the recipe machine and work out how small a piece I have to have to fit the calories I have left.

I think some people get so ferocious about their diet they have no sugar and no fat and no nothing for weeks and weeks and I don't think a person can sustain it. I think clamping down on yourself completely is like pushing a ball under water, when you're too tired to hold it under it flies out of the water into the air. It takes much less energy to just let it bob on the surface. That was obscure: I guess I think that a little pudding can stave off a huge binge crisis.

The trick of course being to put the leftovers in the freezer or some other person in the house before you even sit down to eat. :D Otherwise you just have the next problem! :)
  • crazycranberry
    crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I struggle with eating later in the evening too!

I eat well in the day and then a good evening meal with my son around 5.30-6pm. The problem I have is that once he goes to bed and I am alone (I'm a single parent) I just comfort eat and eat due to boredom! From eating my evening meal I have 5 hours to try and resist more food! Eeeek!

I try to plan my meals to account for some snacking in the evening as I cannot go that long without eating something. I eat every 3hours or so as I cannot manage large meals just 3 times a day. Breakfast 7.30am, snack 10.30-11am, Lunch 12.30pm, snack 2.30-3pm then evening meal 5.30-6pm and finally evening snack around 9pm ish.

Its a tricky one thats for sure!

Let me know if you come up with any solutions. Although sometimes we all have a bad day so try to get back on track and start a fresh the next day. Don't beat yourself up too much. :smile:
  • patriciaachish
    patriciaachish Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm probably gonna have that problem once I start my placements in the hospital but at the moment I workout 3-5 days a week so eating is not a problem for me since I am burning my calories...

If you don't have time to work out and really just depend on your diet, try to eat every 2 hours. MFP app in iPhone has this feature to remind you to log in your meals... I've set it up like this:

Breakfast - 10am
    Snack - 12pm
    Lunch - 2pm
    Snack - 4pm
    Dinner - 6pm
    *Snack - 8pm (this is only if I have enough calories left)

My snacks will be all fruits. Fruits are filling and keeps u full for about 2 hours so before u go hungry, eat a small meal again... They key is to EAT multiple times a day but with small portion meals... ^_^