Weight gain since gym training?

Options
Hi guys,

Since sticking to my diet and counting calories I’ve been losing about 2lbs a week on average. I’ve now started doing personal training sessions and going to the gym lately, but now my scale will not only freeze but I’m actually starting to GAIN weight. I mean to be fair it’s not been long but whenever I workout I gain or stay on my weight, but if I don’t and just diet I lose weight.

Any reasons behind this?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    My scale went up 7 pounds when I started weightlifting again. Took a few weeks for this water weight to come back off.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    Same here. Not 7lbs, but rather 1lbs I'd say (I'm a low waterweight girl) but yes, it's noticeable.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's common to gain water weight after intense exercise. I'd wait a few weeks and you should start losing weight again, if you're in a deficit.

You're not going to gain fat if you're in a deficit, and you're not going to be gaining muscle that quickly either (especially in a deficit) so it's more than likely just water and general fluctuations.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yeah same here. I started just counting calories and the weight came off relatively predictable week by week. When I started at the gym the scale was all over the place and frankly still is and it's been a year of regular lifting.

But and this is the important 'but' the trend was still down especially comparing month to month but it's incredibly frustrating I hear you on that. I'm in maintenance now and only use happy scale and barely even look at the number of the day. Just keep an eye on the long term trend.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I normally gain the day after an intense training session. It's only water, don't worry about it. As long as you're keeping a calorie deficit, you'll continue losing fat.