Lost my mojo

Options
About 7 Years ago I lost 3 and a half stone. I have managed to keep most of it off by sticking to my diet. Just lately I just cant seem to stick at it. I now need to loose a stone. I still log my food but I am always over my allowance. I just cant find the motivation. Can anyone help please?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your diet is just what you eat, so what do you eat, and why can't you stick to it?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Your diet is just what you eat, so what do you eat, and why can't you stick to it?

if we knew this 'and why cant you stick to it?' we would all be great and no mfp would even be needed :D:D:D

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

if we knew this 'and why cant you stick to it?' we would all be great and no mfp would even be needed :D:D:D
    Well, MFP has been a great tool in figuring out a sustainable diet for me, so I can't say I agree.
  • allipops26
    allipops26 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Think your comments are unfair by diet i mean trying to loose weight. I know it should be a total lifestyle change for good but we are all human and life gets in the way of helping us to make good choices everyday. All i was asking for was some motivation to get me back on track to make the right choices.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of me in a way. Folks will come on WL boards and say they’re afraid to get on a scale becuase they haven’t been on one in years and know they’ve gained a lot. Not me. I closely monitored my weight gains all the way from 184 to 285lbs, like I was waiting for some magic to happen to stop the process. I was desensitized to the numbers I was looking at.

There’s no magic. Do you want to lose weight or just think you should want to lose weight? It’s not written anywhere that you have to lose weight if you don’t want to.

If you want to lose weight you need to get involved in the weight loss process. Motivation is fleeting. Commit to the process. In your case I think that means problem solving. The answer to how you regularly go over your calorie number is there in your diary. Can you make modifications, or make deals with yourself to make eating within your number more appealing?

Do you have your calories set too low? Maybe calculate a number to maintain where you are and see if you can live with that. You can get back to losing when you’ve regained control of the process.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

These reflective questions are very pertinent.

No one can really say 'I do this and lose/maintain.' So you should do it to.
    You have to look at why you are going off track.

Are you actually conscious that you are eating more, or is it portion creep, or lax logging.
    If it is the former, what is making you eat more? Stress at home or work, snacking in the evening watching TV just to keep your hands busy, etc?

Or are you eating the same but your workout routine is a little hum-drum and your not putting the effort in, or you have changed something in your daily activity and your NEAT is lower.

Has your diet become bland and boring? Are you over eating because you are not satiated?
    Do you need to spice it up, both figuratively and literally?

These are things that you can reflect on.

Spend some time reflecting on what has changed to make you want to overeat.

Cheers, h.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    OP.. I understand what you are communicating. At least you still log everything..so that is great. Just hit your deficit goal..make yourself do it for a week and make sure you weigh yourself ..so when you lose weight you may feel more motivated to just lose what you've regained. Also..sometimes just going through the motions leads to motivation. Fake it till you make it kind of thing.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, just limit the calories. No special diet required. It's been a 3 year journey. I lost about 170lbs in two years and because I got so used to eating much smaller portions and much more sensibly, that when I took a year off to do a recomp/skin tighten time, I gained a grand total of 6lbs yet went down a pants size.

I yo-yo'd for years until I finally had enough of "diets" and just decided to eat my normal foods, just limiting the amounts (partially of high calorie/low nutrient foods).... I'm now down a grand total of ~180lbs. So yes, I still have fast food on occasion (kids meals), candy, chips, cookies, I just have smaller amounts now. The only thing I elimited was granola - just not worth the calories for the limited quantity, 1/2 oz of slivered almonds and some strawberries have less calories and have much more flavor on my yogurt than granola
  • terrichcombo
    terrichcombo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. What works/worked for you in the past....one day, one meal at a time. When I fall "off the wagon," I dust myself off and get back on again, and not beat myself up for an occasional slip. Just some thoughts from a fellow food/fitness traveller.... :)