Tuna

Options
I love tuna in various ways. Is it unhealthy to eat tuna for lunch every day?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How do you feel tuna would be unhealthy?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Are you concerned about mercury levels? Look for light tuna vs white (albacore) tuna.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    How do you feel tuna would be unhealthy?
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Are you concerned about mercury levels? Look for light tuna vs white (albacore) tuna.

This.
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love tuna in various ways. Is it unhealthy to eat tuna for lunch every day?

The smaller the tuna the better. Mercury isn't something you can fix.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yes, this. The FDA recommends limiting your consumption of albacore tuna because of mercury levels. Pregnant women should avoid it altogether. Light tuna is what you should look for if you want to eat it every day. Although personally, I would occasionally substitute it with some canned chicken or salmon.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you avoid the mercury tuna, it's more a question of what's optimal. So do you eat tuna because it's practical and you like it, or because you can't think of other options?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It would be unhealthy eating white albacore every day due to the mercury levels.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's hard to nail down what are safe tolerances for mercury. Depending on how high up on the food chain your favourite fish is, there will be different concentrations of mercury. Here's the FDA list.

https://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm115644.htm

I'd be much more worried about marlin and swordfish.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Tuna gets boring fast. I haven't heard of anyone getting mercury poisoning from canned tuna except for one dude from NY who ate 10 cans daily for two years straight.
  • MixedbarbieMOM1991
    MixedbarbieMOM1991 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It's hard to nail down what are safe tolerances for mercury. Depending on how high up on the food chain your favourite fish is, there will be different concentrations of mercury. Here's the FDA list.

https://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm115644.htm

I'd be much more worried about marlin and swordfish.
    I love swordfish but only have it once or twice a year.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tuna, and eat 1 - 2 tins daily, I never get bored of it as there are so many different ways to have it.

I also ate it when I was pregnant, my midwife said that for it to be a problem you would have to eat like 5 of the large catering size tins every day so under 200g a day didnt worry me.

I like it with rice, with pasta, with potatoes, with or with out mayo, on toast, on its own, I just like it lol
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    As long as you stick with chunk light, it shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes I buy fresh tuna and grill it, and then make a tuna salad with it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    I would consider trying to replace some of the tuna with a fish lower down on the food chain a couple of times a week. Do you like sardines or mackerel? A pescatarian girlfriend of mine who loved swordfish and tuna had to get treatment for high mercury levels. If you get yearly health check ups sponsored at work, you might want to keep your mercury level monitored. Hopefully there is nothing to worry about.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I eat it for lunch 5 days a week, never had a problem. I live in NZ and I believe (I could be wrong) but our tuna doesn't run the risk of containing mercury.

I like it because it's easy and it's a good source of protein.
  • JasonDee1989
    JasonDee1989 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nice. Hoping to get offshore this week and get some of my own.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Nice. Hoping to get offshore this week and get some of my own.
    Where are you fishing for them and what kind of Tuna?

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    This is where I get my Tuna from :) I eat it at least twice a week in homemade burgers mixed with crab or prawns or shrimp, or wet or dry brined then hot smoked, or in cold smoked lox, or sushi/sashimi, or in sandwiches. I absolutely love it and crave it if I don't have it for a few days.

1wildru1mkbp.jpeg
    6xwsy45fj8tc.jpg
    pc5r7r7olysv.jpg
    vn18za25q1a7.jpg
    b8c3dbynk7r7.jpg
    133aq5bv2q9h.jpg
    fwuk6vht35u7.jpg
    9m142allffdi.jpg
    sht47463o08v.jpg
    dvwydcpyga0o.jpg
    v2ubqpmlf5ut.jpg
    u83zhj7ya2k8.jpg
    8h0u0j3o0owx.jpg
    jhd3cow761fh.jpg
    snklung89utl.jpg
    fxal78c547j5.jpg

Isn't the ocean where we all get our tuna? Is farmed tuna even a thing? I've totally missed that at the places I get my seafood.
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Isn't the ocean where we all get our tuna? Is farmed tuna even a thing? I've totally missed that at the places I get my seafood.
    Yes it's where we get all our Tuna from Lynn. Farmed Tuna is a thing but on a very small scale. Just fortunate that we have them in large numbers moving through our waters off our coast line in late Summer and Fall every year so we can go out in our boats and catch enough Tuna for ourselves, and our friends and family in one trip. We share the costs of the fishing trip with friends so it's a win win for everyone and the views while fishing off shore in BC Canada are amazing. Lot's of Whales, Dolphins, Sharks, Sun Fish etc all around us while we are fishing for the Tuna.
    The nice thing about catching it fresh too is that we can make all kinds of different Tuna dishes with it for a fraction of the cost of fresh store bought Tuna. Sometimes in stores the fresh Tuna is seasonal, and very expensive to buy in Sushi/Sashimi grade loin cuts. The canned stuff in the stores will always be cheaper though and it's still a great source of nutrients.