torn acl

Options
i just found out that i have a torn acl (amongst other knee issues) which will be requiring surgery in the somewhat near future, I am still walking (just a little funny looking) but obviously exercise is an issue. what should i do? anyone have any fitness ideas?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything without a brace.
  • YeahMe
    YeahMe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Swimming or water fitness...this is very good for people with joint issues.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Swimming is the best/easiest on bad knees. Definitely wear a brace like other people said. If you can handle it, and the pain isn't awful, try biking. I would suggest avoiding things with a lot of impact on your kness (running), and make sure you ice, ice, ice!
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Brace would be important, but things like an exercise bike can be very good for it. A friend of mine ran track for 6 months on a torn ACL before getting the surgery (I wouldn't suggest this), but there is a lot you can do. Stay away from hi impact, and from anything where you have to start and stop a lot.
  • ame93
    ame93 Posts: 1
    Options
    i remember when i did my acl i couldn't really do anything.. no swimming, no twisting, no jogginf until 3-6 months after surgey, i would really just suggest walking and then talking to your surgeion about exersice. Exeryone is different! :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd get it fixed now. The longer you wait, the more your body "comps" to ensure you don't stress it. If you keep that "funny walk" even after surgery and recovery it may be apparent because of habit.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    When I tore my MCL, my ortho was very specific about what I could and couldn't do while it was healing. I could basically ride a stationary bike. He specifically said no swimming, as when the joint is floating, there is potential for a twist to happen, and cause more damage.