Not sure I belong, but hi!

Options
Meraid
Meraid Posts: 148 Member
So hi, my name is Stephanie and I'm hoping to lose 60 lbs :)
I don't think I'm allowed here, seems there's an age limit. But since when has there been an age limit to changing your life?
I never have enough motivation for losing weight, and I think starting something here will be good for me.

I've also started a blog. I'm hoping this will help me in that journey of weight loss. I'm tired of being unhappy in my own skin, and being limited with what I can do based on my size. Time to change that.
And good luck to everyone else who's either starting or already have!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As long as you do it in a healthy way. Go for it. Educate yourself on healthy eating and you will eat healthy forever.
  • kylydia
    kylydia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What is your blog address?
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There is no age limit here, we all belong here! Welcome!
  • Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    How old are you? You sure don't look from your pic like you need to lose 60 pounds girl. What weight would that take you to and how tall are you?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There is no age limit here, we all belong here! Welcome!

MFP's specifies a minimum age of 18, this is for a variety of reasons, one of which is the needs of those younger than 18 (still growing/maturing) have different nutritional requirements which are not taken into account in MFP's caloric intakes.

So OP the caloric intake suggested for you may not be enough if you are under 18, I would speak to a nutritionist and enter their recommended caloric intake manually.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    so long as your parents and family doctor are on board I see no issue with it.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I am not aware of an age limit so welcome :) My name is Michelle. Feel free to add me if you would like to. :happy:
  • Sunflower729
    Options
    Hi Stephanie. I'm new here as well, so I don't know the age restrictions, but I don't think it's ever too early to start making healthy changes in your lifestyle. Much easier than one trying to make changes at 40 like me! ;)
    Hope you have a great day!
  • Meraid
    Options
    I'm pretty close to the age limit, and I've only grown an inch since 2006. I'm 5'1 now. It's in my family for the women to be short and stocky, so I feel a growth spurt is nothing to count on. I'm starting at 181, hoping to reach 120, which is within my healthy weight, if not slightly at the higher end.
    My parents are surely on board but I'd never think of seeing a docter. It's also something my mom wouldn't bother with. But I do a lot of research myself, so I know how to tackle this the healthy way.
  • carly_lauren
    Options
    good luck meraid, just do it in a healthy way and you will be fine x
  • prettylittlechubby
    Options
    I'm pretty close to the age limit, and I've only grown an inch since 2006. I'm 5'1 now. It's in my family for the women to be short and stocky, so I feel a growth spurt is nothing to count on. I'm starting at 181, hoping to reach 120, which is within my healthy weight, if not slightly at the higher end.
    My parents are surely on board but I'd never think of seeing a docter. It's also something my mom wouldn't bother with. But I do a lot of research myself, so I know how to tackle this the healthy way.

Welcome, and you seem to know what your doing so have fun here and I hope you get a lot of motivation and support froom us all. Good luck :D x
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options

MFP's specifies a minimum age of 18, this is for a variety of reasons, one of which is the needs of those younger than 18 (still growing/maturing) have different nutritional requirements which are not taken into account in MFP's caloric intakes.

So OP the caloric intake suggested for you may not be enough if you are under 18, I would speak to a nutritionist and enter their recommended caloric intake manually.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. It's not that there is an "age limit". It's more that the suggestions and requirements are meant for adults not teens or kids. My teenage son was going to join this site too so he could log his fitness routines, but ended up going with another site that is made for teens.

The idea of speaking to a nutritionist is a good one. That way you could customize your settings to suit your needs rather than going with the standards set for adults.
  • roc67
    roc67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

It's great that you are motivated to be healthier and now is a good time to start. I do however recommend seeing your doctor especially since it sounds like you probably have not seen one in a while. There are certain conditions that may lead to lower metabolism and weight gain that could ultimately affect the way your body will respond to dieting and exercise. You will want to start on the right track and seek medical advice before starting any weight loss program- this applies to everyone regardless of age. Good luck!
  • Meraid
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm not really sure what kind of teen site I could go to, most I find are for adults :/
    But I'm mainly here not for the settings, but to share my own experiences and see the success you guys have. I find that to be very inspiring!
    I do know, though, about how many calories I need to intake (not from a doctor or nutritionist but things like BMI, BMR and calculators. Not the best, but it's what I have to work with.)
    I hope this is okay :/