Beginner's Yoga Suggestions... VERY beginner!!

Options
Hi friends. Question - I would like to try to start doing yoga a few days a week and have no idea where to start. Some background... crazy bad knees, 150lbs+ to lose, and I am not a morning person! I was hoping to find something I can do from home at first until I feel confident enough to go to the gym and join a class. I was hoping for some suggestions for videos you've used, podcasts, etc. Thanks !!!

Replies

• stillluvinluke
    stillluvinluke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube!
  • aecornwell
    aecornwell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube!

I started her 30 Days of Yoga videos just this morning! I couldn't do all of the poses, but the video impresses the importance of doing what you can, making modifications, and listening to your body.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Best bit of advice I could give you is don't worry about your lack of confidence, sign up for classes.

There is nothing like hands on instruction when one is first starting out.
    Your yogi will help you adapt poses for your ability without injury.

Shop around to find a class that suits you.
    I personally like Iyengar yoga, it works on body alignment, flexibility and Mobility.

Cheers, h.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene on Youtube!

I started with her 30 day challenge and couldn't do everything (I still can't) but you just do what you can and modify where necessary. She does have beginner stuff as well, there's literally videos for all levels.
  • katevt78
    katevt78 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I agree with Yoga with Adrienne. Do her beginner video. She starts off easier and just remind yourself, you don’t have to do it all.
    It can be intimidating to go to a class, so start with the videos and build up some confidence. Then, when you find a class, don’t be afraid to let the teacher help you out by readjusting your stances
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have also been using yoga w/ Adriene. I will probably branch out and use someone else at some point but Adriene has tons of videos out there, and several "series". I belong to a community center and I planned on going to an actual real life class on Saturday but then I didn't because I'm lazy lol. I am also kinda nervous about it because I've never done yoga before.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Look for a good local yoga studio. They will have evening classes. An instructor can help you modify poses to your needs and correct your form so you don't put your weight on the wrong joints/risk injury. Places will also offer beginners workshops that are very useful. If you are concerned about being around other people, talk to the studio, you might be able to arrange a few private lessons to start. I wouldn't build up a fear of beautiful 20-somethings and you being the odd duck. I've got 80 pounds to lose and I'm not the only overweight person in my class. There are people of all ages and ability.

Look and see if any yoga places in your area are offering workshops for "Heavy Weight Yoga" or something similarly named.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i agree with the others to find a local studio
    it is easy to injure yourself when alignment is incorrect. look for beginner, hatha, or community yoga. these are often pose and alignment focused. community or karma will have many different levels.
    call the studio and talk to them. ask them about your concerns. ask if you can come check it out. you can often get a feel for the studio just walking in.
    yoga is for every body.