Can someone explain the spread in caloric values?

Options
Can someone explain this to me? For instance , green grapes show anyplace from 90 to 160 calories per cup. Other things, I can understand, for instance mashed potatoes, where different cooks add different things. But grapes? why the wide spread in values? Thanks!!

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I've wondered if the USDA values are applicable to foods in other countries, like in Australia for me?
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The listings are created by forum members & some listing are more accurate than others - you may have to do a bit of research to see which one is correct.
    I am Clan Ross - love listening to the pipes
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    I've wondered if the USDA values are applicable to foods in other countries, like in Australia for me?

I can't see why they wouldn't be....i use them
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options

Good to know. I just wasn't sure if, for example, 100g of a potato breed grown in Idaho (that's where they grow them isn't it?) has equivalent calories to a breed of potato grown in say Tasmania.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Good to know. I just wasn't sure if, for example, 100g of a potato breed grown in Idaho (that's where they grow them isn't it?) has equivalent calories to a breed of potato grown in say Tasmania.

If your Tasmania potatoes are white potatoes & not sweet they would be close enough -
    The Idaho potatoes are pretty good - great for baking
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Why on earth would you measure grapes in cups anyway?
    Cups measure volume not weight and calories are in relation to weight.

Not all green grapes are the same variety, ditto for black grapes, ditto for potatoes. Even the same variety will vary depending on growing conditions.

Not all entries will be accurate, some will be accurate for the particular variety the person who entered the data for their particular grapes.

But really the first step would be to buy some kitchen scales and use them.

If cups were used to measure it should remember grapes etc vary in size and one cup of large grapes will not weigh the same as a cup of small grapes - more air space in the cup! I try and use data from a reliable source and always weigh.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Entries are user.entered so there are many inaccuracies - checking against a reputable source is a good idea.

Cups generally aren't the best way to measure solid foods - the amount in a cup can differ depending on who is doing the measuring. Weighing is the most accurate way to track solids

Good post.
  • islandpiper
    islandpiper Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes, I have a good digital scale and use is often. So, basically, about 50% of all the food entries we see are somewhat or totally bogus.....Hmmm.......
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Another reason for variances is restaurant food. Obviously the same dish at a different restaurant can have a different preparation and have a different calories. If I run into a situation where the exact restaurant is not listed I look for a common range for the dish (if a number of entries are listed) and take the highest number in that range available. If a dish has values of 1100, 600, 580, 565, and 490 I will usually take the 600 unless I have a strong reason to suspect (like the one I ate was covered in a thick creamy cheese sauce) that the 1100 is more accurate.

I don't know if 50 percent of the entries are totally bogus. Some of them are simply outdated. I have noticed lately that even though many Subway entries have a green check the website lists slightly higher calories. Other entries are the product of a home cooked meal where low calorie substitutions are made. Some are bogus though resulting from wishful thinking, poor eyesight, or anger at MFP and too much time on the hands syndrome.
  • alabamaheather
    alabamaheather Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to save our own entries to refer to later?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to save our own entries to refer to later?

When you create a food, out automatically goes on your "my foods" tab. If you don't check the box for sharing with other MFP users when you create a food, it will stay there. If you share it, it's possible someone else will edit it, and it will move from your."my foods" to theirs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the green check marks are used for both user-created entries and system entries. To find system entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and plug that into MFP.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP.