How do you calculate calories burned?

Options
Hi All

I'm new here and just started using the app. I've got some good goals and people at work that are helping me along. After trying to find some exercises I could do in my apartment (instead of a gym), I decided to buy a 15lbs Kettlebell after finding this web site: https://self.com/gallery/burn-more-cals-with-kettlebells-slideshow.

I have a question though... how do you calculate how many calories you've burned for each exercise? And since it will probably change as I lose weight, how do you adjust it? There's nothing in the iOS app even remotely like these that I could see, so I have no clue on how to enter these under the Exercise section. I could create my own custom entries, but I still have no idea what values I would put in.

Suggestions?
Thanks!

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Voodoo. That's how I do it. I think about intensity and go from 1 to 10 calories a minute. A HRM (heart rate monitor) will make it more scientific. I use apps to track walking and SUP paddling and then edit the calories burned down to about 1/2 to 2/3 of what it gives me.

BTW, I strongly encourage you to look at some kettlebell swing videos to make sure you hinge at the hips properly, You can get some bad low back pain if you round the spine. That's my #1 home exercise. I don't track calories on it because I use a little heavier bell and just do a few every now and then.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you want to burn cals with kettlebells, I would recommend swings and snatches. You need good form or you'll injure yourself though so seek out a local instructor to get started. I use a heartrate monitor to estimate cals.
  • Fasterby54
    Fasterby54 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just don't include it and then figure it makes up for my caloric miscalculations and unreported calories, (that 2nd small batch bourbon after i've closed for the day, handful of Cap'n Crunch, etc.).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Lots of data. Looking at weight loss rate without working out and with. Comparing this. Get calories for a certain type of workout per minute. Takes quite a bit of data though to reduce uncertainly. Then I searched for a sport database entry that gave me that number of calories per minute. Funnily, it's one of the walking speeds that I'm using :D

Btw, if you want to use the kettlebell do read up on how to use it properly. You can get really hurt with those things. Also, be prepared to buy heavier ones quickly as you'll grow out of 15lbs soon.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I also work out at home. I've been doing videos from this site: http://hasfit.com/foundation-beginner-workout-program/

They give a range of calories burned for each video. I always just choose the lowest number just in case, and I do eat most of them back. So far I'm losing as expected, so it must be okay for now. I use to have a HRM and it would randomly quit working in the middle of workouts, and I'd be more focused on it than the actual workout. I bought another one thinking maybe there was just an issue with the first, and same thing happened after a few months. I'm also guessing that it was overestimating for me because I have a fast pulse already. Starting out I would do a really basic workout of 15 minutes on the elliptical, 15 minutes on a stationary bike, and 15 minutes walking on treadmill, and it would tell me I burned like 450 calories.

I think a lot of it is just trial and error. Try to search for how many calories your exercises should be burning, log that, and see if you're losing as expected over a period of several weeks. You can always adjust if you notice you're consistently not losing as much as you should or losing too much at once.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I think a lot of it is just trial and error. Try to search for how many calories your exercises should be burning, log that, and see if you're losing as expected over a period of several weeks. You can always adjust if you notice you're consistently not losing as much as you should or losing too much at once.

This is kind of what I meant with my tongue in cheek "voodoo" comment. I am in maintenance and I keep tinkering with base calories and exercise calories to try to find the magic mix. I call it voodoo because I am all over the place with the numbers and go over goal a lot but have a pretty steady weight, as in having all weigh ins over a two week period be within a 2 pound range. It's been like magic; my mistakes keep cancelling each other out.