Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Apple iWatch

I have the iWatch and I heard that you can use it to track how many calories are burned with your strength training because it has the heart rate monitor. Is this so and how does that work? Is there a certain app I need to download? I have a Fitbit but wanted to put my iWatch to use.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Heart rate is not a good way to judge calorie burn during strength training. But you can just use the Workout program on the watch to record it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    It will record strength workouts and spit out a calorie burn figure. But the algorithms used to derive calorie expenditure from heart rate are based upon steady state cardio, and strength training is not steady state cardio, so the calorie burns will not be very accurate.
  • karlpm
    karlpm Posts: 78 Member
    While calorie burn for weight lifting is flawed, it can’t be beat for timing rest periods and effort.

You can see instantly if you’re pushing hard enough. And I use heart rate to time my rest periods. I start the next set at 115bpm
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Apple Watch, not iWatch.

Use plain "Other" workout setting, but don't noodle around too much.
  • cdestrada
    cdestrada Posts: 8 Member

Thank you everyone for your response. I’ve only been tracking my calories for Cardio and wasn’t sure if I should be for strength training, but seems as though it pretty hard to calculate the results. Lol