Any truth to resting?

Options
Wanted to know if there is any truth to finding a day to rest your body from execise, especially if you do weight training? OR is it ok to do it everyday? I find myself going to the gym everyday doing cardio and weights and someone told me I should take time to rest. I really like going everyday, the routine helps me keep it up.

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have to take a rest day to get water weight down before my weigh-in. I weigh in Friday morning so that means Thursday is a rest day. If I work out on Thursday and then weigh in Friday, there is usually a 2lb difference.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of truth in it. Your body needs time to recover.
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to rest. It gives your body time to repair itself. If you don't you are going to end up with stress injuries.

Look at the rest days as part of your routine. Those days are just as important as your lifting days. And just because you are resting doesn't mean you are idle. Use those days to research nutrition or fitness issues. Make it the day your exercise your brain!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a problem with going everyday...IF you are rotating which muscle groups you are working. For instance, you shouldn't do shoulders and arms back to back to back everyday, you need to let the muscles rest and repair. But if you are rotating muscle groups every other day and doing different forms of cardio then working out 7 days isn't a huge concern.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    i find that i do cardio everyday, but i do have rest days between weights....good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You must give your muscles a little time to recover.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that rest days are important for people who lift weights and run but I think it depends on your level of training. I've recently discovered many runners that train 6 days a week. I know you can lift weights daily if you change up the muscle groups you work. I would listen to your body and don't overwork yourself and end up injured. Maybe try some different cardio...bike, running, eliptical.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I do both strength and cardio. I switch it up, so that I am not doing strength training every day. I do this so I can give my body a day in between to rest. Then, I take one full day off completely. But, that is what works for me.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Wanted to know if there is any truth to finding a day to rest your body from execise, especially if you do weight training? OR is it ok to do it everyday? I find myself going to the gym everyday doing cardio and weights and someone told me I should take time to rest. I really like going everyday, the routine helps me keep it up.

Especially if you do weight training. Rest periods are when the guns grow.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I take a break from the weights, but have no reason why I can't do cardio (even if it is just walking around the block) everyday.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The way that muscle is built is through tiny tears when you lift weights. You need to rest the muscles for a day between, however, if you want to do weights every day, concentrate on different parts of the body - e.g. upper one day and lower the next or use different muscles on alternate days by trying different exercises. Aerobics should be done every day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Depends on what body parts you're training and your intensity. There are people that I see go everyday and can because they DON'T look like they are lifting hard at all. There's even a woman who reads her book while doing things like curls.
  • HappyLuna
    HappyLuna Posts: 112
    Options
    Your body will need one or two days rest a week from strength and carido. However, that doesn't mean you can't do something. Dedicate two days to a long walk and some yoga or pilates. This still helps your body, aids recovery and you will still be focusing on something each day :) Its an idea, as you could end up with a serious injury is you do cardio and weights everyday xxx
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Probably beating a dead horse but:

For strength training you really should rest the worked muscles at least a day. I see no problem doing cardio everyday.

You could alternate upper and lower with cardio every day. Or you could do something like M-upper, W-lower, F-upper with cardio on alternate days.

I said all of that to say this: you need to rest your muscles after working them. Period.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    If you are training with the proper intensity you should have a minimum of 48 hrs between lifting with the same group and you should have one off day per week. I even will take a full week off each quarter and if I don't do that I do a deload week.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    If you are training with the proper intensity you should have a minimum of 48 hrs between lifting with the same group and you should have one off day per week. I even will take a full week off each quarter and if I don't do that I do a deload week.

Agreed 100%
    Rest is when your body actually grows and gets stronger. Not in the gym! Rest is even involved for pro athletes and bb as it is important. And those people have diets and training that are spot on always and still even then they need a day.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    what about those of us doing things like the 30 day shred, do we still need to rest or no?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

This is perfectly said, and it's exactly what I do.

My weekly training regime is:

Monday: Upper body
    Tuesday: Lower body
    Wednesday: 30 min HIIT cardio
    Thursday: Upper body
    Friday: Lower body
    Saturday: 30 min HIIT cardio
    Sunday: OFF

Every 6 weeks I do a deload week.

The end.